Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen quite a few ads on television lately about Identity Theft protection and was wondering how many people buy this coverage. Also, has any of the forum members actually been victimized by identity theft?

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Identity theft is rampant here.
Haven't seen cover here for it to date.
They'd have to get up early to catch me though..... :D

·
Registered
530 Posts
Bears, Beats, Battle Star Galactica

sorry had to its from one of my favorite shows, The Office, and they do a little bit on Identity Theft.

To answer your question, no I don't purchase the service but I keep a very close watch on my financials and credit report.

·
Registered
210 Posts
They can have my identity I'm sure they will e returning it in no time, its not that great.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have had several occasions where my information was used to fraudulently purchase items......One example is when I was living in Japan and someone purchased tickets for a concert in New York (which I had never visited at that time)....I was also in Vegas once, when I received a call from the fraud protection unit from my bank, since my purchases did not match what I usually did with my cards....I have never had the protection purchased, but most banks/credit card companies have fraud protection built into the cards....In each instance, I either called them or they called me and I was refunded the money for the instances.....the extent of the inconvenience for me is that I had to cancel my cards and have new ones sent (which is a huge PITA when you use your cards for everything or if you are traveling).......anymore though, nobody wants my identity....the economy and so forth have successfully buffered my from identity theft....Then again, the identity theft insurance is just like any other insurance....when you know that you definitely need it, it is already too late and you wish you would have had it when your identity gets stolen.....I have known several people that have had identity theft horror stories...I put one person in the Navy (when I was a recruiter). He was arrested in boot camp for murder, kidnapping, and extortion. someone he knew had used his social security number and name when they were arrested for those things and it popped up when they did his background investigation.....of course he was exonerated for the crimes, but he still spent some time in jail while they figured out the details...........so, again..........identity theft insurance is like any other insurance......If you do not have it, you will wish you had when things go wrong, but there is no knowing if anything will every happen to you specifically....much of it depends on how much you practice information security in your day to day life and how likely your behaviors will lead to your information being "leaked/stolen" from somewhere...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I have had "Lifelock" for 3 or 4 years now. About a year or so ago I got a recorded message call that advised me to call the number back about some questionable use on my Bank of America issued card.

Not knowing if the call was fake or not I didn't call the number they told me to call. I called the number that was printed right on the card. There were three new purchases on my card for around $900. They asked me if I had made these purchases and I said no. They advised me to cancel the card immediately which I did.

The next day I received a new card with a new account number. That was the last I heard of the incident. I was not responsible for any of the fraudulent purchases.

What I'm getting at here is that "Lifelock" never entered the picture on any of this. I don't know how Bank of America caught it but they did and fixed it. By the way, I still have "Lifelock". It's a pretty cheap payment once a year for protection against all out identity theft. Who knows? Sometime I may really need it.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had "Lifelock" for 3 or 4 years now. About a year or so ago I got a recorded message call that advised me to call the number back about some questionable use on my Bank of America issued card.

Not knowing if the call was fake or not I didn't call the number they told me to call. I called the number that was printed right on the card. There were three new purchases on my card for around $900. They asked me if I had made these purchases and I said no. They advised me to cancel the card immediately which I did.

The next day I received a new card with a new account number. That was the last I heard of the incident. I was not responsible for any of the fraudulent purchases.

What I'm getting at here is that "Lifelock" never entered the picture on any of this. I don't know how Bank of America caught it but they did and fixed it.
Was your $900 ever reimbursed?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Was your $900 ever reimbursed?
Yes, of course. As I said I was not responsible and it was never even really billed to my account. It was as if it never happened.

If I remember right I think I did get a final statement on the closed out card that listed the charges on it but listed them as fraudelent. B of A caught it even before it appeared on my regular monthly bill.

·
4E617468616E 4C656767
1,840 Posts
Yes, of course. As I said I was not responsible and it was never even really billed to my account. It was as if it never happened.

If I remember right I think I did get a final statement on the closed out card that listed the charges on it but listed them as fraudelent. B of A caught it even before it appeared on my regular monthly bill.
Same situation here Cary, I have lifelock and about two years ago someone got a hold of my credit card info and tried to purchase a $3000 computer. Thankfully, they placed a hold on the payment until they confirmed it with me, so the transaction never went through. Closed account and reissued a new card. Honestly, I'm willing to pay a little money each year to have someone watching my accounts 24/7.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Same situation here Cary, I have lifelock and about two years ago someone got a hold of my credit card info and tried to purchase a $3000 computer. Thankfully, they placed a hold on the payment until they confirmed it with me, so the transaction never went through. Closed account and reissued a new card. Honestly, I'm willing to pay a little money each year to have someone watching my accounts 24/7.
But, you didn't say. Was it the credit card issuer or bank or Lifelock that actually caught it?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I watch my financial details pretty close. I still got nailed. I called in a order to Dominos, gave my digits to the creep on the other end of the phone. A few days later all these charges started popping up in my account. Went to the bank, turned out the creep had a brother in Texas, this brother used my digits to have Dish Network send him their complete package to his house. To his house. He was easy to catch.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Lifelock does little that you can't do on your own. I have ID protection on my homeowner's insurance with Hartford. My wife and I have only VISA credit cards, which limit you to $50 liability, if any. My bank check card is also through VISA. I'm also very careful in online dealings, only buying from well established businesses.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I watch my financial details pretty close. I still got nailed. I called in a order to Dominos, gave my digits to the creep on the other end of the phone. A few days later all these charges started popping up in my account. Went to the bank, turned out the creep had a brother in Texas, this brother used my digits to have Dish Network send him their complete package to his house. To his house. He was easy to catch.
Seems like your credit card company should have caught that one. I was told that they will usually notify the credit card holder when charges are applied that do not match the legitimate credit card holders address.

I had a credit card company call me about a legitimate purchase that I had made. It was for a holster I ordered from Bob Mernickle when he was still in Canada. Since the order was in Canada they just called me for the OK to go ahead and process it.

I guess it's good that they question unusual purchases like that.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Lifelock does little that you can't do on your own. I have ID protection on my homeowner's insurance with Hartford. My wife and I have only VISA credit cards, which limit you to $50 liability, if any. My bank check card is also through VISA. I'm also very careful in online dealings, only buying from well established businesses.
I might add one thing here. When dealing online always make sure you're giving your credit card number on a secure site. Look for the https, the "s" means you're on a secure site.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
email spam

I recently received this email. Apparently the FBI uses yahoo for their email.:D Plus it just doesn't make any sense.

ANTI-TERRORIST AND MONETARY CRIMES DIVISION
FBI HEADQUARTERS IN WASHINGTON, D.C
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION(FBI)
J. EDGAR HOOVER BUILDING
935 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE, NW WASHINGTON, D.C. 20535-0001

HEAD OFFICE EMAIL: [email protected]

ATTENTION: THIS EMAIL IS GOING TO EMAIL ADDRESS OWNER

You must take note that As a Federal Commission we are here to protect your interest and the interest of all the United State citizens as well as this great Nation. You have been investigated as the beneficiary of the said funds that is why you are in touch with the FBI for a solid proof before the funds will be release to you.You are under an observational Investigation in connection with money in ATM CARD.

FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION (ANTI-TERRORIST AND MONEY LAUNDERING DEPARTMENT) IS HERE to wipe out terrorism, and will stop at no length in doing our duty for the American people. You have 48 hours to comply with Mr Alfred John with your code number: AZQV9007 owned by you. You are advice not to send your money to anybody until you are told to do so. It have come to our notice that you have been dealing with scammers regarding the present transaction in your name with the power imposed on us as a high Federal Commission,you are hereby warn and instruction to terminate your involvement with any people or individual contacting you regarding this present transaction because not even your local FBI can be of help to this matter.The said funds is now in custody of Mr Henry William PLC in your name as the beneficiary, your dealings should be channel to this office in Washington DC alone, if we find out you are still communicating with Impostors you will be charge for advance fraud communication by the Federal Law. Note that with the information's we have here you are to contact Mr Henry William.

The very heart of FBI operations lies in our investigations which serve, as our mission states, 'to protect and defend the United States against terrorist and foreign intelligence threats and to enforce the criminal laws of the United States.' So follow our instructions properly to avoid any action before you.

We currently have jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal law. So you can see that we can track you down through Investigative programs. We have your address and the evidence and status of your ATM CARD, so we can arrest you anytime anywhere.

We have done our verification on your FBI Identification Record with our Social Security Number, the only document left is the required (DIST) Which should be issue to you from the paying country of the said funds, you are to contact the FBI MONITORING UNIT BENIN REPUBLIC (FMUB) to obtain the above required document, find below their contact information and they are the only people that are in power to do that.

Furthermore, be advice that according to the United State Law together with the FBI rules and regulations, if you really want your fund also if you don't want any action to be fall before you. We have already informed the (FMUB) BENIN about the present situation, so go ahead and send the Only amount of $96 through WESTERN UNION to the agent name below so that they will process the delivery of your ATM CARD

RECEIVERS NAME: AMAECHI JAMES
CITY: COTONOU
QUESTION: WHEN?
ANSWER: AFTER READING
AMOUNT $96

Then forward the detail to me so that we will personally forward it to them for them to act fast in delivering of the ATM CARD..

WARNING: Failure to produce contact MR HENRY WILLIAM in the next 24 hours, legal action will be taken immediately by arresting and detaining you, justificated and if found guilty, you will be jailed. As terrorism, drug trafficking and money laundering is a serious problem in our community today. The F.B.I will not stop at any length in tracking down and prosecuting any criminal who indulge in this criminal act.< /B>

BEST REGARDS

ROBERT MUELLER III
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR FBI
WASHINGTON D.C ROOM,7367
J. EDGAR HOOVER FBI BUILDING
935 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE,
NW WASHINGTON, DC 20535,USA

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Wow ! "Head Office" That really sounds official right?

Those people that do this crap really need to take a course in basic English.

"with the power imposed on us as a high Federal Commission,you are hereby warn and instruction to terminate your involvement with any people"

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Wow ! "Head Office" That really sounds official right?

Those people that do this crap really need to take a course in basic English.

"with the power imposed on us as a high Federal Commission,you are hereby warn and instruction to terminate your involvement with any people"
Apparently there is a Western Union just around the corner from their Head Office.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
303, I would suggest that you immediately take that message to a cryptologist to be decoded and once you have done that comply with the instructions or you will be arrested, detained & justificated.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts