Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did my second IDPA match this past Saturday night. It is a relatively inexpensive way to get some great practice and training! I use my P95DC Ruger 9mm. I will never be a champion shooter, but it is great for building self-defense skills. The bonus is that it's a lot of fun and you get to meet a lot of interesting people.

Anybody else go to shooting matches?

Best regards,

Jay1958

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
It has been a long time since I was involved in an actual match, but I did qualify a couple of weeks ago and scored a 295/300. I have in the past been involved in pistol matches, and even blackpowder matches in Friendship, IN., home of the National Muzzleloading Rifle Association. Never tried the IDPA or IPSC or even CAS, but I have considered them all. There is nowhere around here where I live where they do such things. Mostly trap and skeet around where I live. Don't have nothing against trap and skeet, but not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Jay you hit the nail on the head about building self defense skills. I used to shoot a lot of IPSC style matches and they are great. There aren't many where I live now but it just so happens that this weekend my gun club is putting on an IPSC style match. The only rules we have are safety rules.

We encourage anybody to come out and shoot. Whether they bring a snubby .38 or kids with .22s or full blown race guns is immaterial. We just want more people to start and continue shooting.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I met a guy at the range I go to who teaches an IDPA skills seminar. $55 for eight hours of shooting. Sounds like a lot of fun and an interesting way to develop defense skills.

I just finished up my NRA basic pistol class and they mentioned the IPSC and IDPA matches. What is the difference between the two??

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
any time shooting event is fun and lets you now how fast you atre or not and helps one to become much better. Pracitse that is the key to better shooting.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Eddie, somebody correct me if I am wrong, IPSC was the original organization started by Jeff Cooper and others that sought to improve defensive pistol skills. Over the years equipment improved, guns changed, electronic sights became compact and cheap, and the sport and guns became expensive and involved moves and styles that were no longer "real world" defensive skills, but necessary to win. For example nobody should reload while out of cover and on the run.

The average shooter demanded matches and catagories that involved only stock box guns without $2000 upgrades. On this premise IDPA was born and got very popular. So popular in fact that IPSC then added stock catagories. Manufacturers started making guns that would fit in a certain size box in order to qualify, etc.

That's it in a nutshell, but both are combat oriented. I only shot stock pistols over many years for my own benefit and enjoyment, not that I was trying to get into regional and national matches.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Thanks shdwrdr, I think that IDPA skills seminar will be a good, fun start. The guy who teaches it seems real cool, and said my GP100 is a great gun to use for it, just pick up some speed loaders, pack a lunch and bring a few hundred rounds! Oh, I need a holster, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts