Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to know if dry fire will hurt Ruger 22/45 MK III ‘s fire pin or not?I know some of .22 pistol or rifle is not recommended to be dry fired.
If dry fire will hurt 22/45’s fire pin, should I need to put a snap cap in my gun to protect fire pin? Actually I don’t know what snap cap does.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Can't really answer your question about the mkIII dry-firing, but i avoid dry-firing all .22 rimfires as a rule myself. Your manual probably will say something about dry-firing and whether or not it is recommended.
Snap caps simulate the ammo for the firing pin and cushion the blow/shock to the firing pin system.
You'll probably get different answers but i think they are a good idea for rimires.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,952 Posts
efang622, Your 22/45 is equipped with a firing pin limit pin. When the chamber is empty, the firing pin will stop when it hits the limit pin and will not damage the firing pin or the chamber.

If you dry fire a lot, the limit pin will eventually bend and allow the firing pin to travel too far. So, my answer is: it won't hurt the gun to dry fire occasionally but don't over do it.

The limit pin is part# 16 in this schematic: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sc...chemid=13&m=13&mn=Ruger®&model=Mark+II+22/45+

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Iowegan,
Thank for explaining to me. Now I will do dry fire as less as I can. But I have another question, I have to pull or squeeze trigger several times during the disassembly and reassembly procedure. Does that belongs to dry fire? Should I put a snap caps there to protect fire pin? I can put the snap caps there all the time unless I need to shoot it at range.

Thanks!

·
Registered
758 Posts
conventional wisdom is not to dry fire rimfires.

.......and I like to dry fire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts