Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I sent my Redhawk in 44 mag 5 1/2" barrel back to Ruger do you think they could change it over to 41 magnum?

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Nope. They're not offering that particular service on DA revolvers.

You might get lucky and talk someone into bending policy a bit - Ruger's consistently inconsistent.

It won't be cheap, however. New cylinder assy, new barrel.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
They don't generally do caliber conversions, that's sorta either custom shop (which they don't have) or local gunsmith territory.

They don't generally alter a gun much from the way it initially shipped.
Denis

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
They don't generally do caliber conversions, that's sorta either custom shop (which they don't have) or local gunsmith territory.

They don't generally alter a gun much from the way it initially shipped.
Denis
They have and continue to do so for their SA revolvers, but that's all. Guys can convert between models as long as the end result is represented by a factory model with the same specifications: frame, caliber, grips, barrel length, sights, material (blued/stainles), finish, etc...

But said service is ONLY offered for their SA revolvers.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
They won't re-do my Single-Six into a .50 Beowolf.

They will, as you note, do certain limited work but not outside normal model features & variations.
Denis

·
Registered
609 Posts
They have and continue to do so for their SA revolvers, but that's all. Guys can convert between models as long as the end result is represented by a factory model with the same specifications: frame, caliber, grips, barrel length, sights, material (blued/stainles), finish, etc...

But said service is ONLY offered for their SA revolvers.

Hmmmmmm... so it might still be possible to get a 45 Colt SBH Bisley Hunter from my 44 mag Bisley Hunter... (exit pipe dream mode).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They won't re-do my Single-Six into a .50 Beowolf.

They will, as you note, do certain limited work but not outside normal model features & variations.
Denis
A single six in .50 Beowolf? What about in s&w 500 mag? Lmao:D

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Hmmmmmm... so it might still be possible to get a 45 Colt SBH Bisley Hunter from my 44 mag Bisley Hunter... (exit pipe dream mode).
They have made a 45 Colt Bisley Hunter, so at least you have that going for you. Call the right person at Ruger, they might make the conversion for you. It won't be cheap, but might be cheaper and easier than hunting down a used one.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
From what I've seen, Ruger won't change calibers. Even if they were in a rebellious mood, they'd have to make a Redhawk .41 Magnum cylinder and barrel from scratch (since it's not in their inventory), and that won't come cheap....or even reasonable.

It would probably be cheaper to have a custom pistolsmith do the conversion, since their equipment is more flexible. Ruger's machinery is set up to do large quantities of a small range of options, so if what you want is in that option range, it is cheaper - if not, it's probably not worth their effort (or your money) to set everything up for a one-off pistol.

Jim

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
From what I've seen, Ruger won't change calibers. Even if they were in a rebellious mood, they'd have to make a Redhawk .41 Magnum cylinder and barrel from scratch (since it's not in their inventory), and that won't come cheap....or even reasonable.
Ruger already makes a .41 Mag Redhawk. Just not currently in the barrel length he was wanting. They have cylinders in stock. They also have made Redhawks in his desired length, and continue to service them (unlike their discontinued service on .357mag Redhawks), so they do still have barrels and cylinders on hand.

They won't convert a 44mag or 45colt Redhawk to 41mag, but they do have the parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts