Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Ruger fans.

I've been intrigued by the No.1 for many years and it's about time to do something about it. My budget and space in the safe suggests that I should pick one No.1 to scratch that itch for the foreseeable future.

I expect it to be a safe queen and ocasional range toy. Maybe an outing or two to a long range steel or varmint shoot.

I wont be hunting with it, per se , so practical considerations are not too important.

So, which one to pick? I'm thinking a smaller bore to accommodate the range or varmit use. Beyond that, I'm pretty open. I reload, so an 'oddball' caliber is not out of the question.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
We just found a nice 1B in 243. It's heavier with a longer barrel (26") than a 1A or 1S, but not quite as heavy as a 1V. Ours will see mostly duty at the bench or from a rest, so the size and forearm style is actually a plus. Would not care to carry it a lot, but it's still doable as a stand gun and so on. The good news about the 1B is that it is not quite as in demand as the other versions, so you can sometimes get them at a more reasonable price. As for the cartridge, very much your choice. We just enjoy shooting the very sweet 243. This one will be our long range plinker.

1988 vintage with VX-2, 4-12x AO

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
For me, getting an iron sighted .300 H&H was the one I had to have. (bought a pair for good measure). Capable and different - both bases I wanted covered. :)

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
1B in 218 Bee

·
Super Moderator
4,058 Posts
You guys are killing me. I have one #1, a 30-06 and if I could only have one thats the one I want. However, there's a #1 at my LGS in an unusual caliber that keeps calling my name. I'm trying to resist but I can feel my resolve failing.

·
Registered
566 Posts
With the parameters that you gave, I would suggest an off-caliber that may have some sort of future value. In particular, if you can handle it, I'm thinking of one of the tropical calibers. Personally, I long for a boomer, so I'm keeping my eye out for something stupidly large. I have no use for such a gun, but dang it if I don't want one pretty badly!

I would get something along the lines of a 45-70 Gov. The price of the ammo isn't so stupid that you can't shoot it, and yet it is exotic enough to make me drool :)

I would also lean away from a 1v. I would go with something that I wouldn't have to fool with a scope. My biggest bugaboo right now is finding a scope for my No. 1's that has enough eye relief. It really is a pain in the posterior because I don't want to spend a lot of money on a scope that may see the light of day once or twice a year.

Yep, a No. 1A in 45-70 would make me a happy man!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
7mm Remington Magnum.

Around the time, I was getting engaged to be married, and my father was bailing out on the family, (Late 1970s.) I became friends with a co-worker. He was around my father's age, and he was interested in many of the things that I had developed an interest in because of my father's interest in them. (Guns, hunting, etc.) Unlike my father, he was also interested in spending time with me and sharing these interests with me.

I should have put in more effort, but being newly married and stuff... Somehow we lost touch with each other when I changed jobs while he was out recovering from back problems.

Moe and I had a dream hunt planned. We were going to travel from Florida to Wyoming and hunt pronghorn and mule deer.
My dream gun for that dream trip was a Ruger Number One, in 7mm Remington Magnum.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well I recently bought my 1st Ruger #1; a 1A in 7mm-08. Great for targets and light hunting.

Now if there was a #1 hanging around in .38-55 with a 26" barrel, well the 401K would take at least a $1000-1500 hit. :)

·
Registered
742 Posts
From what you are going to do with it I would suggest the 1B in 22-250, it has been made since 1970 through 2016. Good chance to find one in excellent shape to suit your needs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My suggestion would be a 1B in 257 Roberts. I have one and love it. You can shoot everything from woodchucks to antelope and deer. It's an old caliber but still a great one.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
I would get something along the lines of a 45-70 Gov. The price of the ammo isn't so stupid that you can't shoot it, and yet it is exotic enough to make me drool

Yep, a No. 1A in 45-70 would make me a happy man!

Oh, yes, it is indeed a very fun thumper. It was another "gotta get" for me. I will say too, it's a wee bit easier on the shoulder than it's #3 counterpart. ouch.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Hmmm, the one and only No.1 would definitely be the International model in .270 caliber, I start drooling every time I think of the one I passed up at a gun show several years ago.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Hmmm, the one and only No.1 would definitely be the International model in .270 caliber, I start drooling every time I think of the one I passed up at a gun show several years ago.
I shot one of these about 20 years ago, Extremely accurate, with a beautiful stock. The owner wouldn't sell......

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I'd take a serious look at the recent 1A's in 7.62x39 as well....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have 2 No1B's. 243 and 300 WM. Have taken a lot of deer and elk, respectivly, with them. Look like twins with slightly different Leopold scopes. The 243 is fun to shoot at targets and varmits besides deer. The 300 WM only fun to shoot at elk!

I think No. 1B's are just about "IT".

1 - 20 of 107 Posts