Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm a 1S guy... love the heavy barrel. My No. 1S in 30-06 would be hard to beat as an overall gun.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Be careful! It is hard to have just one!! I have a .22 Hornet, .218 Bee 1Bs and a .243 Winchester 1V, thought I could get by with 1.
For just one though,and your description of intended use the .243 or .257 come to mind.

·
Registered
193 Posts
any?.....

A 358 Winchester in a medium barrel with sights. Or a full stock, or a 'B' model even. However it's not been made that I know of.
That's why I have a .35 Whelen walnut/blue. It will do fine as the 'short' Ruger #1 action handles longer cartridges quite well.

·
Super Moderator
4,059 Posts
You guys are killing me. I have one #1, a 30-06 and if I could only have one thats the one I want. However, there's a #1 at my LGS in an unusual caliber that keeps calling my name. I'm trying to resist but I can feel my resolve failing.
I buckled like a cheap card table. I put a new 9.3x62 on layaway today. I could of just bought it but layaway allows me at least a little bit of dignity in my failed attempt to not buy another gun. My penance will be to wait the full 90 days before I pay it off. Sure I will............:eek:

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
What the OP is really asking is "which caliber".

If we take into consideration the OP's desire to stay in the range of smaller calibers, the classics such as 45-70 are out of the running.

The .243 WIN would be a pretty good all around caliber. The 7mm-08 is great cartridge that would ring steel and be a little less sensitive to crosswinds.

BUT - for me the choice would require no discussion or thought - it would be the 7 x 57 (7mm Mauser or 275 Rigby for you English types).
In fact, I just went to the Ruger website and see that the 7 x 57 is currently offered.
Now I'm looking at what I can sell in order to fund that purchase. Thanks, now I have a problem.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Way back when, I would have said .270 or 30-06 in a 1A or 1B

More recently it would have been the same models but in 7mm-08, 243, or 30-06

Today...... wow..... same as above I guess..... pick one and shut up and be happy LOL

I would like to see them make one in 6.5 Grendel.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
My 1 and only #1 is an RSI in 7x57. I have no desire for any other.
I'm right there with you. That would be my pick of the flock.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Just the one I currently own in .270 Win.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
No1 RSI 308w full wood

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have several 1 b in 22 Hornet and 30-06 ( I think that is the standard, no sights with plain forearm) 2 tropical .458 and .375 H&H, then my favorite a little 1a in 7x57, in my mind a perfect little rifle, I also would not turn down a 1a in 6.5x55 if available.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I hope to have a 25-06 or a 220 swift varmint!

Life is good, especially with a No.1 in the hands

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
OP here. Thanks for all the great suggestions. It's helped me to narrow it down to a 7mm or smaller caliber and the medium to varmit barrel.Still shopping.. :D

·
Registered
499 Posts
How about a 25-06?

·
Registered
30 Posts
For you, I would suggest the 204 Ruger, 218 Bee or 221 Fireball (if Ruger ever chambered the No.1 in this cartridge). If you would prefer a dual purpose cartridge, the 250 Savage, the 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Rem or 6.5x55. Up into the 7mm's, the 7x57 (or 275 Rigby) and 7mm-08 are also great choices.

For myself, I am looking for my No.1 RSI in 6.5x55!

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Hands down for me it would be the 220 Swift. Great caliber, provided you can find one where the throat is not toast.

Here Kitty Kitty

21 - 40 of 107 Posts