Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a local gun store today. They had two stainless Blackhawks in 44 SPL. One is what the dealer called A Talo special edition, 4 5/8” barrel with box and papers. The other was a Bisley model with 5 1/2” barrel, box and papers. Both had serial numbers starting with the 521 prefix. Both were in excellent condition. Is one more valuable than the other, and which one would you buy? Talo was priced at $680. Bisley at $650.

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,812 Posts
If you hand load the .44spl is a great cartridge. Which grip feels better in your hand? Does cocking one hammer seem easier than the other? The price seems reasonable so handle them and get what feels right for you. Sounds like two very nice single action revolvers.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Go for the Bisley!
I've been enjoying my Ruger .44 Special Bisley for the past three years. The Bisley grip profile makes it very comfortable to shoot.
The .44 Special is a great cartridge - in addition to the Ruger Bisley, I have a Ruger GP-100.
.44 Special ammo can be difficult to find, at least it is in my AO. Hopefully you reload and have an adequate supply of the necessary components!

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'd get the one that felt better to me. It would probably be the Talo for me.

You might find this discussion on bisley grips useful.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your input. It is very helpful. I am visiting my birthplace on the east coast. I am going to check a couple of other gun shops before I decide what to have sent back to Washington state. I also saw a really nice, blued security six, snub for $599. It is nice to have options, when trying to add to your collection.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Of the two you listed, I would definitely take the Talo model. The .44 special is fine with me, specially if you are gonna reload. My choice is because I have a real preference for the 4 5/8 inch barrel length, and I am not a fan of Bisley models, I prefer the plow handle. Please post pictures after you make your purchase. (y)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Pretty good prices on both.

I have the Talo model, 1 of 1000. Has great balance and all around my most valuable firearm. Don't come up on Gunbroker much but they're selling for at least $800 to over $1000.

I've been seeking a Bisley 44 Special SS. If you don't take it send me that gun stores info and it'll be gone in a flash!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Thank you all for your input. It is very helpful. I am visiting my birthplace on the east coast. I am going to check a couple of other gun shops before I decide what to have sent back to Washington state. I also saw a really nice, blued security six, snub for $599. It is nice to have options, when trying to add to your collection.
The last Security Six that I saw was priced at $800 or so, and it was bought. Because the next time that I went by that shop, it was gone.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’d personally go with the 4 1/2” barrel if it’s a 44 special. I have a 44 magnum with a 7 1/2” barrel and a 45 LC in 5 1/2”. The 44 special is mild enough that the 4 1/2 should be just right. You know Christmas is right around the corner. Why not spurge and get them both? Life is short, be happy!😉

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
I'd buy the Bisley with the 5 1/2" barrel. I don't care for the shorter barrels. Not sure why you are asking us though... This is highly 'personal' preference deal :D .
I won't comment on worth, or box, or papers as that isn't how I buy revolvers.

Reactions: Robert70

·
Registered
Ruger Shooter
608 Posts
I'd go for that dark horse Security Six you mentioned, but I prefer DA over SA. I've really enjoyed mine as my first big caliber revolver. She handles great, best trigger action.
Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Wood

Good luck - keep shooting!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts