Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the LA Times:

Liberal groups expect postelection results

Activists who helped Democrats secure Congress make clear they intend to get their reward.

[...]
Some of the very activists who helped propel the Democrats to a majority in the House and Senate last week are claiming credit for the victories and demanding what they consider their due: a set of ambitious — and politically provocative — actions on gun control, abortion, national security and other issues that party leaders fear could alienate moderate voters and leave Democrats vulnerable to GOP attacks as big spenders or soft on terrorism.
[...]
At the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the leading gun-control advocacy group, President Paul Helmke has high hopes for the assault weapons ban — and he can list races where candidates backed by his group defeated those supported by the National Rifle Assn.

But Helmke, a former Republican mayor of Fort Wayne, Ind., acknowledged that his challenge was to convince Democrats that his cause was not "radioactive." Many Democratic strategists have come to believe that supporting gun-control laws alienates rural voters and many independents.

"Guns are a tricky issue," Helmke said. "But the elections show there's nothing to be afraid of."

Still, the issues of abortion and guns underscore the tough decisions facing Reid and Pelosi as they try to please the party's core supporters while appealing to centrist voters.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yup, I saw that on TV the other day.

However, before they get too carried away, they should consider this:

quote:By Chad D. Baus

The Cleveland Plain Dealer is reporting that Betty Montgomery, the supposedly unbeatable anti-gun Republican, was so stunned after her defeat by Buckeye Firearms Association-endorsee Marc Dann (52.3% to 47.7% percent) that she didn't concede until 3 p.m. Wednesday. By then, the newspaper reports, she had jetted off to Florida and was declining to take phone calls.

In a statement released by her campaign, Montgomery said, "I realize that in a campaign where voters wanted new faces, my experience may have worked against me."

As the OhioGOP sets about to examine "what went wrong" this November, I would respectfully offer headlines and stories like these as Exhibit 1 for why Betty Montgomery received 167,618 fewer votes than Mr. Dann (over one half-million people hold hunting and concealed handgun licenses in Ohio)

Story From Buckeye Firearms Association:
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article3365.html

·
jlweems
278 Posts
They also need to remember that they weren't elected, the Republicans were fired. They have to know that if they bring it up now it will hurt them bad in '08. Of course that is if they are being logical, which isn't in their nature. I would expect that if they get the Congress and the White House in '08 that we are in for a bad run.

Just to be safe though, I plan on adding a couple of mags for each of my 9mms a month for a while.

·
Registered
758 Posts
True, and it's time for me to start on that AR15 build.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts