Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting out a dumb question, prepared to take the abuse. But I need the answer. I just bought my first mini 30. Is there a bolt catch release ? Like on an AR ? when the last round is fired and you insert another magazine is there a bolt catch release to put the next round in battery. I have not shot it yet, waiting on an optic.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have inserted another loaded magazine just pull back on the bolt handle then release it. If you are not going to continue shooting follow these instructions.
View attachment 181538
Sorry, I saw the topic and thought it was about something else. I was expecting some cheap entertainment on Thanksgiving. :p
So Far everyone has been pretty good to me, on some of these forums people can be brutal!!! Although most of the time they deserve It

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ok I'll be the bad guy. At least look at the pictures in the owners manual. Or if you bought it second hand look on Ruger website and you can view or download or print it.
Like mentioned like the M1-A give the bolt handle a bump rearward.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I'll be the bad guy. At least look at the pictures in the owners manual. Or if you bought it second hand look on Ruger website and you can view or download or print it.
Like mentioned like the M1-A give the bolt handle a bump rearward.
Yeah well I knew I wasn't in the clear, but instead of a smartass remark, I'll do as I said, and take it like a Man. Thanks for not disappointing. My faith in gun forums is restored!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mini 30's, (and Mini 14, m14, M1a, M1 carbine, M1 Garand) have no bolt release. You have to "slingshot" the bolt to chamber that first round. I usually use this method on AR'a to save wear on the bolt catch. You will find tugging the operating rod and letting it fly forward is a very satisfying feeling.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mini 30's, (and Mini 14, m14, M1a, M1 carbine, M1 Garand) have no bolt release. You have to "slingshot" the bolt to chamber that first round. I usually use this method on AR'a to save wear on the bolt catch. You will find tugging the operating rod and letting it fly forward is a very satisfying feeling.
Thanks for this info

·
Registered
Rugers: Model 19122 pc 9 , American Competion
3,373 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I agree with others that this is, if not THE best gun forum, it is among the best. Good, actual gun slinger moderators with a passion and history in firearms, and for the most part, great members. I don't think your question was dumb at all. While I have never bought a used firearm, many used guns are sold without manuals. And sometimes the owners manual is not available on line. Sometimes it is. My inherited weapons, like my click clack savage, info is hard to find. A question asked in open forum can spark an idea or a clue for others experiencing similiar problems.
Again welcome!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts