Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my mini 14 3 weeks ago and did not get off to a good start with it. Got a few items taken care of and it's staring to come around. Well this afternoon I decided to take it out for some fresh air and a little hog hunting. The hogs did not show but a nice 2 1/2-3 year old 130-140 pound 6 point wandered into my field about 5:15.

Shot him at 130 yds. using Remington 55 gr. soft point ammo. Right in the left shoulder and it went right through and blew a nice 1" exit hole. Deer ran about 30 yards and folded up just like they are supposed to do. :D

This rifle is starting to impress me with it's accuracy. At 100 rounds it was shooting a 1" group at 50 yds. but I have yet to group it a 100 yds. I knew if it's on at 50 yds. it will be a 1/2" low at 150 yds so really I just held a little high and let her go and it was right on. I starting to like this rifle more than my AR's, Might just take one and trade for another new Mini 14. :)

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I am very pleased to see that you got through some of those early issues! You'll be a fan for life shortly!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Awesome, Falcon! Great shot at 130 yards - I knew that you'd end up liking the Mini once you got through the issues you were having.

That is a nice looking buck! Congratulations!

·
Registered
488 Posts
a lot of minis have break in issues, and i think some first time owners are not patient enough to let them work themselves out. glad it is performing more like it should.

nice shooting! hope the mini continues to perform for you. i have a mini and AR. i like both, but my mini would be the last to go. :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Have had one for years; never had a problem w/it... Congrats...

·
Registered
719 Posts
Nice Deer...:)
AWESOME to here you have resolved the teething problems you had earlier with your Mini 14...;)

By the way my son has shot 4 wild hogs with his Mini 14 in the past 3 weeks in southern Georgia where he is stationed at there at Warner Robins AFB....

He likes his Mini 14 too, as do I mine, being my favorite rifle between my .223 Ruger Mini 14, my 7.62x39mm Norinco SKS , my .30 M1 Carbine, and my .308 SAIGA 100 Series rifles...;)

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have both the Mini 14 and the Mini 30...always been a fan of those rifles. I was never crazy about the AR platform for ergonomic reasons, but if you have a couple of AR rifles, I would hold onto them in this political climate. They may be money in the bank!

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
I have both the Mini 14 and the Mini 30...always been a fan of those rifles. I was never crazy about the AR platform for ergonomic reasons, but if you have a couple of AR rifles, I would hold onto them in this political climate. They may be money in the bank!
+1 on this.....and, RAC55, about your avatar....That doesn't look ANYTHING like the Red Ryder that I remember!;)

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This rifle is doing great, once I got the scope mount problem figured out and the rear sight tightened down and loctited into place, things just smoothed out.

RAC55, the mini 30 is on my short list if I can find one. :D Have not read up much on them but are they having any accuracy problems like the early 14's did before the barrel change?

Sambo77, I love my Norinko SKS's. That is why I want a Mini 30, I believe it should be more accurate that the SKS. Even with the chrome barrel the Norinco will only get down to a 4" group at 100 yards.

·
Registered
947 Posts
+1 on this.....and, RAC55, about your avatar....That doesn't look ANYTHING like the Red Ryder that I remember!;)
That's what Ralphie REALLY wants for Christmas!:D

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well this rifle is way better than most folks seem to give it credit for. Since I got it straightened out I have hunted with it almost every time I've gone in the last few weeks. Well today it got a real test. At almost time to leave I spotted a dark shadow on the north side of my green field. I have changed out to a 56mm scope and glad I did. The Shadow was this, a nice 200 plus pound 8 point. :D

I shot him at 80 yards using Winchester 62 grain soft points. I had been using 55 grain ammo but found some 62 grain and this Mini likes them a little better than the 55. Bullet went in just behind the left shoulder blade and exited the left shoulder dead center. Perfect shot and buck went 30 yards and dropped.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
THAT'S a Great looking deer! Glad to see you gave the Ruger a second chance......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts