Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I currently have about 900 rnds of .45acp. When I get my press set up, I hope to increase that number, greatly.....:)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I bought 500 rounds of .357, 44 Mag and .38 at a gun show before I started reloading and use that brass. Had to buy .45LC, .41 Mag and 32 H&R Mag. Since prices are going up at a crazy rate I have been loading up on lead bullets.

Brass ready for reloading

Stock piled bullets and once fired brass

Work area

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blazer has always shot well in my guns. It's cheap too. :D

Chance you got lots of goodies! I have a ways to go before I catch up. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
The stuff mounts up real fast. Come home from the range today with almost 200 pcs of 45APC brass along with a buch of 40 S&W and 9mm. This is all new since we started talking about reloading. One piece of advice, don't throw away any plastic containers. I had to actually go out and buy some. Just fired me. Seems that in getting set up and organized there is a contuious need for containers to put stuff in.

I never used Blazer but have about 300 rds of Ultramax 9mm. Good stuff

·
Registered
219 Posts
True story about Ultramax.
When I bought the NMBH .45LC convert I also picked up a box of Ultramax .45 Colt at a cost of 24.99. It was that box of ammo that convinced me to start reloading since I figured I could buy the necessary reloading equipment for about the same price as 5 boxes of ammunition. Good choice since retail ammo (Cabelas) has gone up about 30% in the last couple of months since that decision.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was just pricing bullets and dies for my .45 ACP. It's looking like it'll cost me about $15 a box total to reload. I pay $14 a box for the Blazer brass and $12 a box for the Blazer aluminum. Does this sound right? Or am I confusing myself?

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you go to Starline Brass the APC cases are $78.75 for 500. I am using 200gr LSWCs from Missouri Bullets @ 31.00 for 500, 5.1gr Unique @16.99 lb and CCI 300 Primers @ 1000 for 18 bucks. At handloads.com this comes out to 12.79 per 50 round box for the first 10 boxes. When starting through the brass for the second time the cost drops to 4.62 per box.

If you add the cost of the dies into the first ten boxes it brings the cost up to 15.59 per box, but the cost of subsequent boxes still drops back to 4.62.

I figured everything I have spent into the first 10 boxes of 45LC which comes out to about $50.50 a box. Ultramax sells right now for 35 a box so after the first 10 boxes when the press, the brass, 6 sets of dies, tumbler, etc are paid off I am saving a bunch when the per box price drops back to $5.01

The price of ammo is going nowhere but up and the initial cost will be paid off quick, then it's all gravy. There's always going to be more to buy (since we all know you have no self-control [lol]) so even if I add in 50% I'm still only up to seven and a half buck a box.

Not guarenteeing this is right but it sounds good and my wife buys it. So if it's wrong please don't burst my bubble.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
hey chance iam not disputing your pricing on everything but i need to know where your buying primers for 18 bucks? everywhere ive been is getting 24.99 up to 30 bucks per 1000. and bullets 45cal is 40 plus per 500?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The FMJ bullets I priced were over $40 per 500.

My primers were like $18 for 1000.

I see what you're saying Chance. The more I load the cheaper it gets.

Just checked Cabella's. .45 FMJ bullets are $75 for 500. That's what I planned to reload for my XD.

·
Registered
219 Posts
hey chance iam not disputing your pricing on everything but i need to know where your buying primers for 18 bucks? everywhere ive been is getting 24.99 up to 30 bucks per 1000. and bullets 45cal is 40 plus per 500?
I got Win SP and LP from Miwall Corp(reloading) at the last gun show here in PHX for 18.00 per 1k. My son picked up CCI LPs at Sportsmans Warehouse a month ago for 18.99. There is a another Cross Roads of the West Show next weekend up here at the Fairgrounds just off I-10 and the I-17 interchange. My plan is to stock up on primers and powder. If you come up let me know and we can get together.

Got the 45 APC bullets from Missouri Bullet Co http://www.missouribullet.com/shop/results.php?secondary=13 for 31 bucks for 500. Small family operation and very good folks to work with. Also got the .357 and .45 Colt bullets from them. All the brass I have bought came from Starline, 45LC, .41 Mag and .32 H&R Mag. 45 APC is range pick up while .357, 38 and 44 Mag is from the ammo I bought from Miwall in the past.

Since brass is the largest single item of reloading cost there are probably many ways to figure cost over any length of time. I keep it simple and just factor in the entire cost for the first use. But when reloading 45APC with range pick up the cost is 00.00 and way it's figurred.

The numbers I came up with were using Handloads Cost Calculator.com http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

I am definetly no authority but I know I can go out to the range or the desert and shoot all I want now with out worrying about the cost or replacement ammo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts