Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A cool afternoon so I headed to the range. I shot my 4 mags of cci mini's and decided to try the expensive super x hollow points that I've never shot previously. I've put over 2,000 rounds of Vic minis, federal, and aquila thru my 22/45 with no problems but had 3 crushed cartridges that failed to load. I then fired 50 aquila super extras with no problem...My ruger doesn't like power points!!
Since I was rather "hot", I decided to cool off by firing my reliable 9mm with blazer brass which I had never fired. Previously, I had only used "hot" zqi NATO and American eagle ammo. Well, out of. The 1 box I had 1 round in the chamber with another trying to load on top of that with the slide half open. My confidence in my pistols is shot. Maybe I need a single barrel shotgun with a hammer for home defense--lol.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Great place to vent a little. Bolt action shotgun would also be a safe bet:)

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I can empathise with you on the Super X. Although I am well aware that there are plenty of people out there who have no problem with it, or even like the stuff, I'm not one of them. It has jammed in all my .22 rifles, even my trusty 10/22 that has only jammed three times in 10,000 rounds. All three jams were Super X.

A week or so ago, I tried some Power Point .22LR in my Henry lever gun. I experienced several nose up jams with it. In lever gun.

As for Blazer Brass? I've used the 9mm and the .40 and have never had a problem.

I'm sure your next time out at the range will go much smoother.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I'm cooling down now. I can fix the .22 "power point" problem by not,using them again, but the 9mm "double feed" failure has me baffled. A loaded cartridge in the chamber with another trying to load is beyond my comprehension. It had to be me, the pistol, or the ammo. Any ideas let me know!! I'll be ready for a cool "new glarus" beer when I get home.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Could just be ammo. The only thing I've tried that my Glock 19 hasnt liked was blazer brass 115gr - at least a dozen fail to feeds from one box.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Double feed? What would have to happen to get to that? Head hurts, mark your magazines, carry on shooting up the landscape and be ready to pounce on the offending mag. Good Luck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for laughing with me! Too many variables for me to consider but I will in the future not attempt to "speed shoot" with 2 mags or attempt tap & rack; that's why I have a double/single actioncz75 knockoff.
I'll make sure the mag is fully latched and use ammo I'm used to. If that doesn't work, I'll give my car keys and pistols to my boys. My "lead weighted" walking cane is pretty good at keeping skunks at bay--I'm done!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.