Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, short story made long......

I have pretty much settled on a mindset of only looking for Rugers anymore, however, I've kind of been "straying" again.......

I had noticed the Zastava 9mm M70a "Tokarev" a couple years ago, they retail for about $250. I had the M88a a few years back, they also sell for $200-250. The M88a was a solid, if not the best fitted, 9mm pistol. It's basically a "Commander" sized Tokarev.

So, branching out from that, I have no need for a "blaster grade" 9mm pistol, since I already have a CZ85 9mm I use as a range blaster, along with a P89. I'm actually thinking of selling the CZ85 since I am not an "auto guy" and for me, owning 2 full size 9mm's is redundant, although I own dozens of GP100's, but that's "different".......autos for me are simply tools......

. The "reports" online for the new Zastava 9mm Tokarevs are "so so", they seem to work OK, but accuracy is mediocre.....OK, no big deal, but then stuff like most of the examples have mags that are impossible to get out, and they are pretty much just range toys. Then I saw that they make a new Tokarev in 7.62x25, they seem more accurate and reliable in the "original" chambering.......I had a Norinco Tokarev in 7.62 and it was a tack driver. But.......then again, I have no real use for a 7.62x25 Tokarev since surplus ammo dried up and new ammo is $20-30 a box...looking into the future the Tokarev would just become a gun I'd fire a few times and it would be a dust magnet.....online reviews of the Zastava guns say "for the price point just get a SCCY CPX-2".......So I searched for those.......

I had wanted a Glock 26, as a carry "tool", but then saw that these SCCY guns that are made in Florida, retail for $250, and get glowing reviews from pretty much everyone who has one. So now I'm getting the urge to try an SCCY as a small 9mm carry gun......I pretty much abandoned the 9mm Tokarev idea and thought I would, for a rare instance, buy a gun that I actually "need" for carry. As much as I love revolvers, I see a need for a small 9mm in my life.
Especially a low priced, reliable one that I won't feel the need to "baby", that I can just carry. Plus the SCCY guns are a real DAO internally hammer fired gun, which I like.

I just put a Glock 42 .380 on layaway, just because I wanted a rock solid, light, thin .380 pistol for summer carry. I tried an LCP but I don't like "carry lots shoot little" guns, so I gave it to my Mom, who will not shoot it a lot, but mostly uses it when she goes out for a few hours. It's perfect for her, with the heavy DA pull making it safer, and the easy DAO operation. So, hoping the Glock 42 will fill a "niche". I had no interest in the slightly larger, slightly more powerful 43 9mm. I figured if I was going small, go all the way with it......since now I'll likely own a (hopefully) solid compact 9mm for when I can carry "a little bigger".

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Your mind works lime mine does when it comes to handguns choices. That is why the put me on meds. ��

The SCCY is a fine shooter for the money. You may find that G42 you will bring home a great CCW. Longer pipe than most 380s but very reliable.

Go get a 1000 rounds of 380 and learn to love it.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had wanted an NAA Guardian .380, since I'm already a long time NAA fan.........but then the Glock 42 came out, a shootable and affordable small .380........ It has "full size gun" durability and all my freinds that have them say they are very shootable, unlike most micro-.380's, that are "put a mag through them once a year" type guns.

The other larger .380's are more geared toward the European police market, like the Browning BDA .380, Beretta 84 and the CZ83. Big heavy guns for .380's.

I also have a soft spot for mouse guns, and always liked .380.........once I found out the 42's were made at the GA plant Glock set up there, I had to go for one.

I still want the NAA Guardian though, but as more of a "toy" than a defensive tool. I can wait on that.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Bro... bro... you got to concentrate. You're becoming attention deficit with brands...

On the other hand, more guns is good.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have an SCCY, CPX-2, that has ran great for me. In fact, now that the weather is getting a little cooler, I carry it OWB...was carrying it today.

I also carry a G42, in a BLACKHAWK! pocket holster, quite a bit as well. I have other pistols, but these two I carry most. The Glock has been perfect.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Buy whatever you like..... I'm a Ruger fan too, but if somebody makes a gun that works better for a specific want/need, I get it.... plain and simple. Lifes short, be happy

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kbYbIxmWnec

Hope this link works, but these guys torture and ultimately destroy a SCCY CPX........I'm usually not a fan of the assinine "torture tests" like this, but it shows these guns aren't cheap garbage.......any gun that will still dump a mag without jamming after a 25 foot drop, being run over, covered in maple syrup with peanut butter on the slide rails, seems like it might be worth a shot for $250.......then they end by shooting the CPX-1 with the CPX-2.

I just sold a bunch of "duplicates" from my collection, I think I'll pick one of these up.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
My neighbor just bought a CPX-2. The trigger pull feels a lot like my LC9 (the hammer fired, not the striker fired) or my LCR. I think if you like a revolver, you will like the SCCY. I have been looking at one myself.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The SCCYs definitely seem like a solid buy, and a great warranty too.
I was tempted to stray myself for my recent purchase, but ended up with
Ruger again (not that I regret my choice). :D

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'm a Ruger fan but guys there are a lot of guns out there that are better than Rugers. They usually cost more but you should check them out.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,545 Posts
Bottomline is you're happy with it.

It's easier to stray in CA where you only have three pistol choices.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'd get the Bersa 380 acp in my opinion. It's all metal, aluminum grip frame steel top, with the walther p 38 style safety and action. My friend let me shoot his and it is a fun little gun. I'm not sure I'm ready to stock pile yet another caliber but if I were going 380 acp that little all metal Bersa is #1 on the list.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I like Rugers as much as anyone........but they are far from having something that fills all my needs.........or WANTS, I guess is the more appropriate term. And rarely are they the BEST gun in any class.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess my "gun buying" criteria is that I buy from any gun maker who has something that fills my needs, but I try to stay with Ruger when I can.

But, for example, Ruger doesn't make a .40 revolver so I put a Charter Arms .40 PitBull on layaway.......just because I wanted to check them out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts