Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess you guys don't have too much of a problem buying ammo, well apart from either cost or scarcity that is. No so over this side of the Pond. I've described in earlier posts on here the vagaries of firearms licencing in Great Britain as a whole, I suspect it came as a surprise to some. However the restrictions don't just apply to firearms, specifically, where I live in the Isle of Man, even air rifles and crossbows have to be on a licence, what is called a Regulated Weapons Certificate.

Not so in the UK BUT.... no licence is needed in England and Wales for an air rifle 12ft lbs or under. Over 12ft lbs and it's considered a firearm and, therefore, has to be on a firearm licence. There are NO air pistols over the maximum limit of 6ft lbs. Over that limit and they would be considered as an illegal firearm as handguns/pistols are banned in the whole of the UK.

It is also illegal to hunt (anything) with a long bow or crossbow in GB..

But I digress.. now with regards to the amount of ammunition you can have, that's restricted as well. You will be given two quantities on your licence for each calibre of firearm. So, for example, it will say you can HOLD 1000 rounds of .22LR. BUT.. you can only buy 800 rounds..

I'll give you my personal allowances.. It says,

"Maximum amount authorised to be possessed at any one time": 1000 x .22LR 250 x 9mm 250 x .357/.38

"Maximum amount to be purchased or acquired at any one time": 900 x .22LR 200 x 9mm 200 x .357 / .38

As for the .308 and .243 when we moved back here 18 months ago I brought with me an accumulation of some 450 rounds of .308 and .243. The local police here had a fit...!! So, before they give me an allowance I have to shoot all that lot off. And I know full well they will severely restrict my allowance in the future. By the way, those maximum amounts also include anything you might reload..!!!

So you can see now why there's no need to take the truck when out for ammo..:rolleyes:;)

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Tommo
I do feel sorry for you guys but I am afraid if a certain political party takes power over here we could see the same rules, People have to remember that once you lose a freedom you don't get it back.

·
Registered
89 Posts
By the way, those maximum amounts also include anything you might reload.
Copied from above

So do they also regulate components??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts