Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought it just over a week ago, and finally got a chance to take it to the range today. The thing started jamming after three full magazines went through the barrel. One of the two factory mags never would feed again, but one did okay when I went to putting five in the mag instead of ten. This happened with both Remington bulk, and CCI MiniMags.

Anybody had this problem with the 22/45 Mk. III before???

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I don't have a 22/45 Mk.III but I do have a Mk.II in stainless steel. Pretty much had the same problem your talking about, how I fixed it I was to shoot a full brick of stingers through it, never cleaned it until I shot the whole brick. Then cleaned it and it works great for me now has ever since 1986.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Did you clean out the excess factory oil/lube before you shot it?
Might need a good cleaning and a very light oil application or some dry lube. Might also blow out the mags.

·
Registered
947 Posts
You definitely want to give it a good cleaning prior to shooting. That oily red shipping preservative is everywhere and tends to gum up the action. Use oil very sparingly, just a light application on the bolt and receiver. They should appear dry when lubed properly.

Also you want to ensure that the first round of every magazine is oriented upwards or you'll tend to get ramp strikes with the bullet noses.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
304 Posts
quote:Originally posted by KP97DC

I bought a new one, and there was a lot of lube in it. I cleaned it and used a dry lube on it and haven't had any problem with it.
What kind of dry lube did you use? I'm positive I don't own any but I wouldn't even know what to look for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the input :D
I thought I cleaned it pretty well, but maybe not.
Bullseye, thanks for the pics. I think that's part of my problem.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
wow nice site thanks for sharing it with us.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Thanks. I wanted to create something to supplement the poor instructions found in the owner's manual, plus many folks like to customize and these instructions have been very helpful in the past. Many folks have commented that my pages have helped them when they were knee deep in parts and couldn't get their pistols back together again. I've got one for regular Mark III's too. http://www.guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Good luck with the cleaning. Hope that fixes the problem. Only feeding issues I've had with my 22/45 has been due to crap ammo. Works flawlessly if I use the right food. :D

·
Registered
583 Posts
when I bought a slightly used 22/45 from an acquaintance had the same experience as you, far far too many fail to feeds. In fact at first I thought seller had sold for that reason. As Bullseye showed with pics in post above, need to ensure bullets are nose up. It was search for solution to that problem that first brought me to this site, found this thread: http://rugerforum.net/ruger-rimfires/10999-ruger-mark-iii-feed-ramp-jams.html

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Don't know that Tom is around anymore, last post was that one..... 4 years ago.
But things have not changed in his absence.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Don't know that Tom is around anymore, last post was that one..... 4 years ago.
But things have not changed in his absence.
ba ha ha - I always chuckle when people fall in line with revival of an old post, and here I was the second to do exactly that. Opps

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thanks. I wanted to create something to supplement the poor instructions found in the owner's manual, plus many folks like to customize and these instructions have been very helpful in the past. Many folks have commented that my pages have helped them when they were knee deep in parts and couldn't get their pistols back together again. I've got one for regular Mark III's too. detailstrip

R,
Bullseye
That site is priceless. Thanks for putting it up.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thanks. I wanted to create something to supplement the poor instructions found in the owner's manual, plus many folks like to customize and these instructions have been very helpful in the past. Many folks have commented that my pages have helped them when they were knee deep in parts and couldn't get their pistols back together again. I've got one for regular Mark III's too. detailstrip

R,
Bullseye
Extremely helpful pages.
I replaced my extractor with a VQ Exact Edge one.
It should have been a cinch but I had a very hard time pushing the plunger back to free the extractor. Very fine punches, jewelers screwdrivers, four different shapes of dental picks. (And I should done it inside a clear plastic bag to avoid the usual looooooooooooong hunt after an object goes BOINGGGGGGG!)

I have written to Ruger suggesting that they make a place on the plunger where a pointed object can grab or get a positive hold to push the plunger back, with "some" control.

What is the plunger made of?
Would it be easy to file a v-edge in its top? Actually not so much a regular V but more like a check mark notch?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts