Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here's my predicament...I have been wanting a Ruger 10/22 for a couple years now and since the take down model came out I really thought that was the direction I wanted to go. So here it is Christmas time and I'm ready to pull the trigger but, I can't decide which one I want to buy.
Finance's are relatively tight and it would require me driving all the way out to Cabela's to have a sure thing on finding the Take down model. If I stay local I know I can pick up a Carbine or similar and save $100 or, so dollars. My gut says, get the non take down model, save the money and gas and buy local but, my head keeps telling me I've been wanting the take down for a solid year.

I'm looking for opinion's and experience fellow Ruger enthusiast. While this may not be my first rodeo I would still appreciate some gentle nudging.

~Walnutz

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I think you should get the one you really want. If you don't want to drive to Cabela's do you have a good LGS? If so, I imagine they could get a TD for you if they don't have one on hand.

No matter which has model you end up with, I know you will enjoy it.

P.s. I have two 10/22's and I still want to add a takedown.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I'd say if the Takedown is on your brain that strong, and it won't break the bank, you should get it. Sounds like you could never be happy with a different model even if it saved a hundred.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Assuming guns that are reasonably close in price, it's been my experience with guns that settling for less doesn't usually work. Sooner or later you end up trading or selling the more "practical" gun for the gun your heart wanted in the first place. What's worse, you often end up spending more to get the one you want after factoring in travel time, the loss you take when selling your gun and so on.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Follow your gut feeling..... ;)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Assuming guns that are reasonably close in price, it's been my experience with guns that settling for less doesn't usually work. Sooner or later you end up trading or selling the more "practical" gun for the gun your heart wanted in the first place. What's worse, you often end up spending more to get the one you want after factoring in travel time, the loss you take when selling your gun and so on.
there it is ^^^

"Buy once, cry once"...save money in the long run

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the response's so far guys and gals. I know I would be happy with either of the two and if I ended up with the carbine model I would probably end up spending the additional money on accessories, a case and eventually a different stock. The take down has been calling my name since it came out and I really do have practical uses for it as well. This definitely isn't a bad decision that I have to make and I guess making a trip to Cabela's really isn't a bad thing either :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
They are going to shoot the same. The TD has the advantage of being able to break down for packing. That is the only real difference. If that is not that important to you, I wouldn't worry about it, either model will be fun to shoot and should give you good service. Good luck on the decision. And just get the one you want and enjoy it.

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
Do you have a real use for the takedown feature? If not I'd save the money.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I love takedowns. My favorite gun is my sub 2000, not technically a takedown I guess buy it folds in half, so just as good.... Also, my dad has a takedown .22 pump that I covet...

If its the one you really want, I would definitely get the takedown....

Take it from experience, NEVER "settle" for a gun.... I did that exactly once and still regret it (plus I no longer have the gun) I dont like stainless guns. I was in the market for a ruger 22/45, and found a GREAT deal on a 22/45, but it was stainless.... It had everything else I was looking for, so I bought it, thinking I would grow to like it... I never did, and ended up selling it... I dont regret selling it, I regret buying it... Had I waited and got the gun i REALLY wanted, I know I would still have it today....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Get the one you WANT. Otherwise you will always feel, boy if I only had that one.... I don't think the difference between the two has anything to do with shooting quality or other rational criteria. :p You probably would be happy with either, but only you know that.

You can always get the other one later, cause hanging out here with these guys and gals will simply lead to a collection of these 10/22 goodies. :D

Have fun deciding and congrats on whichever you choose!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had a regular 10/22 with blued metal and a wooden stock. I bought a 10/22 TD in stainless with a black synthetic stock. I replaced the factory sights with Tech Sights.
Sold my old 10/22. Love the Takedown model, there is a lot to be said for the convenience of the TD feature. Easy to transport, it'll fit in a daypack for hiking, and as far as a bug out bag...it's way better than a Henry AR-7 or anything like that...
Also, I've seen the TD version in Blue steel w/ walnut stock, very nice although the stainless/synthetic combo will be more durable I think.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Buy the take down-you'll love that little rifle!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I really don't know why anybody would get the takedown.. There are so many more custom options and stocks for the regular model. I would definitely go with the regular

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Unless you have a use for the takedown feature Id save the cash. $100 is alot of .22lr ammo.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Take down....

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
I really don't know why anybody would get the takedown..
Maybe because it is a takedown ;). It can pack in a smaller space and look less like a rifle doing it. I just don't personally have that need or else I'd own one.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts