Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had more time to shoot the P-89 I acquired last year and suddenly started having problems with extraction/ejection. Nothing gradual, it acted up in a serious way all at once. I went through the normal routine of making sure it was cleaned and lubed properly as well as trying different ammo. No luck. Sooo...I made a call to Ruger today. My expectations were that they would say my 25 year old out of production pistol was too old to work on, no parts available inhouse or it was past their warranty period.
Well I was pleasantly surprised. The nice lady (Amanda) said YES, they still do warranty work on P-89's. She asked me about 6-7 questions about the problem and then emailed me a FedEx shipping document.
It will be going out tomorrow so I suppose there is a good chance I'll get it back by Christmas!
I'll reply back here again when I receive it back and give it a test run.

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
I've had more time to shoot the P-89 I acquired last year and suddenly started having problems with extraction/ejection. Nothing gradual, it acted up in a serious way all at once. I went through the normal routine of making sure it was cleaned and lubed properly as well as trying different ammo. No luck. Sooo...I made a call to Ruger today. My expectations were that they would say my 25 year old out of production pistol was too old to work on, no parts available inhouse or it was past their warranty period.
Well I was pleasantly surprised. The nice lady (Amanda) said YES, they still do warranty work on P-89's. She asked me about 6-7 questions about the problem and then emailed me a FedEx shipping document.
It will be going out tomorrow so I suppose there is a good chance I'll get it back by Christmas!
I'll reply back here again when I receive it back and give it a test run.
I'm willing to wager my lump of coal from Santa that you will have it back by the time Jolly St. Nick makes his run ...

Amanda sounds familiar ...

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Ruger doesn't have any warranty, but that doesn't mean they wont fix your gun for free.
Exactly. They do not have a "warranty" because some states limit how warranties work. Ruger prefers to set the stage for how they service their products. It is a lifetime warranty in practice, rather than in fact.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I supposed that to be the case. I also figured the limiting factor of the non-warranty/warranty and whether they would work on it would be parts availability for the older guns they don't make anymore.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I supposed that to be the case. I also figured the limiting factor of the non-warranty/warranty and whether they would work on it would be parts availability for the older guns they don't make anymore.
Bottom line seems to be; if they can fix it, they normally will and often do more than you would expect.

·
Registered
263 Posts
This is Ruger's CS:
I bought a used P94 (40 SW) on-line. It looked fine and cycled with no apparent issues. However, it felt weird/loose when fired. Sent it back for them to look at. A week letter I get an email that says the gun is unrepairable and would I like it back. I call them and they give me two choices: 1) get the P94 back, 2) allowance on any new Ruger pistol. I asked if I could get an American 45 and how much would it be. Ruger - "That would be an even swap. But it might take 6-8 weeks since we're between production runs" WTF?!?!? It was all I could do to not scream 'Thank You'. Less than 3 weeks later, my FFL calls and he has received the gun.

·
Banned
195 Posts
This topic has come up many times. Yes, Ruger has great customer service. But it does not mean they will work on any gun. I have known a few guys that owned older models that they would not work on, but did offer the owner a discount on a newer firearm.
I have a SR22 that they told me, since the gun is one of the older models, that I would have to pay shipping up to them, but they would repair it and send it back at no charge. Or just send the parts. I opted to have the parts sent. (Which is great Service).
I am glad to see they are honoring the P89, especially since I have a more recent SR9C that I love and that gun was bought years ago when they first came out. (in fact, thinking about buying a second one.)

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
This topic has come up many times. Yes, Ruger has great customer service. But it does not mean they will work on any gun. I have known a few guys that owned older models that they would not work on, but did offer the owner a discount on a newer firearm.
I have a SR22 that they told me, since the gun is one of the older models, that I would have to pay shipping up to them, but they would repair it and send it back at no charge. Or just send the parts. I opted to have the parts sent. (Which is great Service).
I am glad to see they are honoring the P89, especially since I have a more recent SR9C that I love and that gun was bought years ago when they first came out. (in fact, thinking about buying a second one.)
spot on ... i've sent back a couple of my P series and they repaired them free of charge for parts BUT I had to pay shipping ... still a dang good deal if you ask me ...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Good to know. I had a very early stainless P89. It wouldn't hit a barn if I was standing inside it. Sold it at a loss. I should have called Ruger instead... but back then there was no internet and no group of good Ruger people to ask, except by print publications, and months to wait on answers. Oh well.

I love all my remaining Rugers - my Vaquero, Wrangler, Single-Six, MkII, and American 45. They all work flawlessly. And love talking to Ruger enthusiasts on the web...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know they have lifetime warranties on the newer guns but was unaware of warranty work for the "P" was still in effect. Thanks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
It is the "more than you expect" that sometimes bothers me. I love Ruger's customer service in general and they've always done right by me but sometimes they go overboard replacing parts! If you have anything custom you sjould probably put the original parts back on or they might change them out. This is especially true of springs. I've returned guns to be worked on (or checked out for some reason) and have specifically told them not to mess with specific things, like cylinders or trigger groups, because those parts were working just fine. I sent a Mini-14 back because I broke the gas block trying to keep it from leaking and they essentially rebuilt the entire rifle! Replaced everything but the receiver & stock, in fact! The gas block still leaked but I simply gave up on that and just cleaned it up now and then. Oh well!
Cheers,
crkckr

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
It is the "more than you expect" that sometimes bothers me. I love Ruger's customer service in general and they've always done right by me but sometimes they go overboard replacing parts! If you have anything custom you sjould probably put the original parts back on or they might change them out. This is especially true of springs. I've returned guns to be worked on (or checked out for some reason) and have specifically told them not to mess with specific things, like cylinders or trigger groups, because those parts were working just fine. I sent a Mini-14 back because I broke the gas block trying to keep it from leaking and they essentially rebuilt the entire rifle! Replaced everything but the receiver & stock, in fact! The gas block still leaked but I simply gave up on that and just cleaned it up now and then. Oh well!
Cheers,
crkckr
They do specifically tell you to remove any after market parts because their rules are to put the gun in factory condition. If I change anything out on a firearm, I store the original parts in case I ever need them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ruger Customer Service

You will have a hard time finding a better Customer Service Department tham the fine folks at Ruger. Not much more to add.

·
Exchequer
4,597 Posts
Ruger's commitment to their customers and backing up their products is a big part of what made me a fan to begin with.

Yes, they make some fine (and affordable) firearms, but I have never been disappointed with their CS.

I bought a used P85 a couple of years ago, sent it to Ruger to make a recall fix with the safety and had it back in about 2 weeks. Didn't pay a cent for postage.

When my recently purchased Mark IV needed a fix (again for a recall on the safety), same thing - back in about two weeks with Ruger covering postage.

Years ago I bought a new SR9 that just wouldn't cycle properly. Sent it back to Ruger, they said it could not be repaired, and offered me another one in exchange. I asked if I could select an LCR instead and they agreed. I did have to pay a small fee for the cost difference, but it was nonetheless a good deal .....and another example of proper customer service.

OP, please let us know what the outcome is on this and what Ruger had to do to get your P89 back in order.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I received an email from Ruger today saying the pistol is being checked out by a technician and that they would let me know what they find out. Sometime after that today, I received an email from FedEx with tracking number saying my pistol will be delivered to me on December 10 - a 7 day turnaround if it works out that way. Maybe the folks at Ruger take a week or 10 days off during Christmas and are pushing everything out the door they can before they shut down.
So it must have been a simple fix - I'm guessing something easy like an extractor replacement.
I'll be sure to report back here what they did to the pistol and how it performs.
Kim

1 - 20 of 26 Posts