Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(

Many of you guys know how new at this whole thing I am. I grew up around guns but didn't shoot at all as an adult until I bought my GP100 pretty recently. Of course I'm hooked and have bought a few others since then.

And I really have, I think, made great progress with my shooting. Each time I go I learn something new. I practice about once a week shooting something, and I think I get better each time even if it's just by a little bit.

But for the life of me, I can not get better at CLEANING MY STUPID GUNS!

Don't make fun of me. Everyone has a way to do it, people use different materials, products and techniques. I get what the gun shop guys say to get because they can tell me how to use the products. But I get home and I just SUCK at it. Takes me forever and I just don't feel like the guns are clean. I want them CLEAN, and I want to be able to do it methodically, knowing I'm getting the gun clean.

Not to mention the fact that I am nowhere near the comfort level of being able to break a gun down into smaller pieces to more easily clean it. Took the Remington 870 apart to clean the receiver and THAT took me a half hour to get back together. How many of you have 13 year old sons who can break down, clean and reassemble an 870 while they're playing a video game and talking on the phone with their girlfriend?

The GP, my single six, my Model 94, I'm terrified to take those apart because I don't want to be the tool who brings a gun to the shop in a shoebox because I can't put it back together.

I am offering a steak dinner and a case of beer to someone who can show me, on my guns, how to do this right.

·
Registered
693 Posts

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
If you search youtube you can find a video that will demonstrate the correct procedure for most any gun. Sometimes when I haven't cleaned a certain gun in awhile I need the video to watch to help put them back together. It seems I can always break them down. I just need help every now and then getting them back together. Shhh... don't let it out. A real man never admits he needs help putting anything together.[8D]

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I have the manual. And I had it open while I was trying it. Stuff just doesn't go smoothly, it's hard for me to move the little clips that allow the piece to slide in, stuff like that. And I have Iowegan's GP100 book and I'm embarassed to say it's all pretty much over my head. So I just clean it the way I think it should be cleaned, and I get cleaner and oil all over everywhere and finally get to the point where I think I'm done and I'll close it up and find some dirty spot somewhere. I just suck at it. I'm very inefficient. If I felt like I was getting better at cleaning, I'd just keep doing what I'm doing. But each time I feel like I'm handling and attempting to clean a gun for the first time. Irritating.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Does it go bang every time you shoot it? If so you are probably doing okay. Maybe you worry more than those of us that do it effortlessly.

It is a tool. If it goes bang and hits where you think it should for your shot you are using it right.

Cleaning a gun isn't a critical thing to do any longer. In the black powder days yeah. Now not so much.

I clean my shotgun once every three years. Over moisture usually while hunting. It has a big bore and will shine up running a patch through it.

You are trying too hard IMHO

tk

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
You need to hire a French maid with a cute li'l outfit to help you clean your guns-until your syndrome goes away...I'm sure your wife will understand....you ain't nothin special...all of us have had the syndrome to an extent...my D.I. cured mine forever....;)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might be right, tk. Though I do wish I understood the mechanics of, say, my lever guns, enough to break it down.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
As long as your guns aren't rusting, and not jamming your doing good!

Most of the time I just wipe the guns down with an oily rag after I shoot them. After every 250 rounds (give or take 50) I'll wipe the gun down with a little bit of solvent scrub some of the carbon build up areas, and finish it off by a wipe down from an oily rag. By no means my guns are spotless, but I have never had one jam due to being dirty.

The only gun I really take care of is my competition rifle, but thats another story.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Eddie, on my guns that I don't want to take apart and clean, I take them to a good high pressure air hose and give them a good blowing out, and then spray them with a dry lubricant. They don't collect dust and grime and I don't have any problems with them. It works for me.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Which dry lube do you use? Makes sense on the insides-shouldn't attract lint and dust so much as, say, RemOil....

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
EddieF - I know how you feel. I used to think that I had to clean until patches came out pristine white like they were in the package. I still work pretty hard at it, but I've found they don't have to be perfect. I use Gun Scrubber on the inside of the slide and frame of my bottom feeders and then blow them out with the air compressor. Anything left over gets QTips and pipe cleaner treatment. Contrary to some folks beliefs, Gun Scrubber that is made for synthetic materials will not discolor your polymer frames. Just make sure you don't use regular Gun Scrubber. I usually spend about an hour shooting at the range and about a half hour cleaning my gun. I could do it quicker, but I kind of enjoy the cleaning process.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Eddie - Methinks you're beating yourself up too much. It's all suppose to be fun. If you get too critical you are hurtng yourself in the long run. Relax, I clean my guns as needed, usually wipe them down good and run a bore swab. I do a detail clean only as needed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Eddie Relax man , clean the bore , cylinder , wipe it down . I like to use a lewis lead remover on the forcing cone.I only dissasemble mine once a year for a deep cleaning during the winter months when i bored .
Rugers are tank tuff,enjoy & shoot the heck out of them.
SL.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ed,
Relax, the more you do it, the easier it gets. Eventually, you will achieve a Zen like state when you clean a firearm and when you're done, it will be spotless.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
312 Posts
I got a couple of good manuals from Iowegan which helped me immensly. He takes you step by step on the GP and 22/45. Im like you nervous, and springs all over. I now work inside a plastic bag where I can see what Im doing and still dont lose the parts. Dont really take them apart as long as they are working ok.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts