Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
of getting the American pistol in 45 for my concealed carry, replacing my Taurus Curve. Haven't made a final decision yet. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I looked at the new American pistol in 9mm and .45, and was favorably impressed, but haven't had opportunity to shoot one yet. If you're thinking of switching from Curve or any other small .380 to the American, you'll need to consider the difference in size and impact on how/where you carry it on your body. The American is a full sized pistol and much larger and heavier than the Curve. Not that you couldn't carry the American, but you'd likely have more of a challenge keeping it concealed and carrying comfortably. YMMV.

·
Registered
160 Posts
of getting the American pistol in 45 for my concealed carry, replacing my Taurus Curve. Haven't made a final decision yet. Any suggestions?
Mine has just left Tennessee and is heading to Georgia for me to pick up.....I got the .45 auto....was leaning towards the 9mm because of the magazine capacity but didn't basically want another .38, so I went with the 45, figured 2 10 round mags and maybe buying a third one later on will be enough in any self defense situation, now If I was a thug and wanted to just spray bullets from a moving car I would have gone for the 9mm...LOL... I figure if 10 rounds cant stop a threat my *** best beat feet as fast as I can.....LOL....anyway all jokes aside....I don't think it will be bad to carry......summer just buy some of them T-Shirts that are longer ya know the ones they advertise to cover plumbers crack...LOL...I sport my SP-101 4" barrel right now on my side and my shirts cover it fine...they both weigh about the same....in my state I can open carry and that's usually what I do unless in Wal Marts I will cover it with my shirt.....Once I pick it up tomorrow or Wednesday I can post some pictures of how it looks...tell me how you would like to carry yours and I will do the same and get ya a picture...the gun feels and looks good....haven't shot it yet but I am happy with my purchase....certain cases I will carry both but for the most I plan on carrying the 45 and let the wife carry the 357 on her side.....wish all states would go open carry....

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
WHile my CCW is a .45acp, I would encourage you to make sure you've fired a .45acp before you buy one.

I think you'll find the difference in recoil from your 9mm to be significant and not to be taken lightly. You may find it more than you're willing to take on as far as a change goes.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WHile my CCW is a .45acp, I would encourage you to make sure you've fired a .45acp before you buy one.

I think you'll find the difference in recoil from your 9mm to be significant and not to be taken lightly. You may find it more than you're willing to take on as far as a change goes.
I already own a 45. I have a 1911. Taylor's compact. I have put a lot of rounds through it at the range. So I am not unfamiliar with the 45.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Hmm,well, you gotta make your own decision, but I'm with AZLCR - this is a full size service pistol, not necessarily the best choice for CC. Plus with it being a brand new product, I'd be more concerned than some other choices about reliability issues. Of course, if your gunproves reliable, that's all that matters.

I sure wouldn't be replacing the Curve as that would fill a completely different role. There must be lots of times you'd rather slip the Curve in a pocket rather than strap on a big rig for the Murican.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Personally I would wait until a compact version comes out. The Ruger American Pistol looks very good but I would want a track record on the gun first.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have to agree. I like the looks but I want a compact size pistol. The only other thing is that my SR40c is making me change my mind.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Know what, I'm not getting the Ruger yet. I decided I already have enough handguns for now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts