Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey team, sorry about all the newbie questions, but I'm in the process of moving to a free State ( free at last ! ).

My question is, if I don't get the destination State's DL right away, will that cause issues for FFLs selling me guns at my new address?

I was hoping someone in here would know right off the top, so I don't inadvertently hassle an FFL who tries too hard to make a sale, and then we reach a temporary roadblock if I didn't get the new DL right away.

I'm not moving out of my current state quickly, and that's a contributing factor in potentially not getting the destination State's DL asap. Straddling has pros and cons.

Going forward, there will be fewer posts from me about the travails of blue state gun owners. Like most in here, I'll be thinking, " it sucks to be them ! "

· Super Moderator
6,712 Posts
Ok, so to complete the FFL transfer, your id address must match the address you put on the 4473. It needs to be your current address of residence. If you are trying to buy a firearm with an out of state license, some shops won’t do out of state sales ad some will only do long gun sales and I think all handgun sales need to go through an FFL in your state of residence as defined by your ID. So, if you are moving from a communist state to a free state, you are better off switching your state of residence asap.

· Registered
935 Posts
Thanks, that's what I needed to know !
Depending on the state you are moving to you will need to be a "legal resident" which is not determined by your DL but by your length of residency. Don't confuse the two. And if you answer that you are a resident on a 4473 before the state says you are it can be construed as a fraudulent answer.

· Registered
159 Posts
General rule of thumb is to change your ID/DL as soon as possible. Also change your vehicle registration as soon as possible, even though it may cost you a little extra money. Some states require it as soon as you begin employment in the state.

As an aside, a vehicle registration (other than a lease) that doesn't match the state of your residence/DL can create some problems which may require a court appearance. I have personal experience with that.

· Registered
3,780 Posts
I worked at a gun shop for 7 years. Your address on the form must match the address on the DL, or no sale. I have had people just move and put their new address, but they had not changed their DL yet, and we would refuse to sell it to them. Made a lot of people mad, but I aint going to jail for nobody!

· Registered
68 Posts
Always lived in Texas but when I moved to my retirement home, I had to get a new DL so I could get my homestead exemption and my over 65 exemption. At the time my LTC must be updated when in 30 days and it was based on my DL. Now we are a constitutional carry but I keep my LTC current, less of a hassle with FFL’s especially if you are new to them.

· Registered
264 Posts
Residence is usually defined by the state you file taxes in. That being said, in Colorado you can legally purchase a firearm with an out of state ID if you have a vehicle registration with your name and a Colorado address on it. You can also use a hunting or fishing license with same.

· Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Makes sense, thanks for chiming in. A cross-country move is pretty challenging for someone who has a heavy workload and also has stuff to move because of past hobbies.

Since I've been busy, I've been thinking in terms of pistols (like a couple handguns, and a sub gun with maybe 4" barrel) instead of long guns (I don't need the Shockwave yet, because I haven't had free time for the great outdoors). As brnwlms pointed out FFLs are likely to want to see an in-State ID for handguns, so I haven't even bothered yet.

If my communist state ID were used for a pre-move purchase, then this communist state is hardcore enough to potentially issue an arrest warrant. I know it's hard to believe after NYS Rifle and Pistol Association, but consider what NJ has just enacted :

They've made literally every part of NJ a protected place, including the state forests, where you would need to have a death wish to venture in with a small group unarmed.

They're requiring $300,000 of liability insurance. It's time, once and for all, for us to evaluate the political strategery behind such a requirement. The liability insurance means that every defensive use of firearms is going to result in a lawsuit, including the 98% of times (according to the CDC) that no shots are fired. The $300,000 of insurance guarantees that every case will be settled for (you guessed it) $300,000.

Every defense attorney will recommend settling for $300,000 in exchange for no admission of guilt. Every lefty gun control attorney knows he'll get paid, because every case is worth $300,000.

No one will refuse to settle for the amount of the insurance pay-off as a matter of principle, because the NJ state court system is thoroughly corrupt, from top to bottom.

NJ's intermediate appellate division is deciding literally the majority of its cases wrongly, which makes them worse than useless. NJ's supreme court has capacity to handle less than 10% of the cases that are wrongly decided. Can you imagine how you would feel if you were one of the more than 5,000 NJ residents each year who suffers a wrongly decided case in a state court and can't even get a supreme court review.

The courts here are acting out on an "elite" prejudice against working people. It's the reason why they're deciding cases on the basis of prejudice, instead of following the facts and the law. At the same time, they're routinely releasing criminals to conduct a reign of terror against working people.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts