Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was talking to Mrs. JimB about a shotgun rather than handguns for home defense.

When her eyes glazed over I asked, so what do you think, and she said "whatever you think is best". ;)

So I ordered an Interstate Arms Hawk 982. It's a knock off of an 870, but couldn't find any bad reviews of them. I figure for $175, I can make it a project gun.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Haven't played with shotguns for a while, maybe a little 3 gun? :D

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Nice! I only hear good things about them myself.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
549 Posts
Congrats on your new shotgun, look forward to hearing how it shoots..

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got out to the range with this monster, as a handgun guy I had forgotten how heavy 7 pounds actually feels when you are toting it around.

The service of GunBuyer was pretty good. Took about a week to get in, not speedy but not bad, and had no issues of any kind.

Shotgun is solid, good fit and finish, like the ghost ring sights.

Went to the range with a buddy who has a 870. The looks of the two guns are identical except for the sights and stock patterns.

We both ran a couple dozen or so rounds through both guns, and agreed in a blindfolded shooting test :D you could not tell them apart.

Loaded and cycled smoothly, hit exactly where the sights were pointed. I expected the Hawks pump action to be gritty and need some polishing out, but it felt just as nice as the 870.

Durability is yet to be determined but for a dedicated HD shotgun which won't likely ever see thousands of rounds I'm more than pleased.

·
Registered
342 Posts
what are the internal parts made of? plastic, pot metal, etc...? where are they cutting corners?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Ive looked at those many times. I see alot of good reviews. It always seemed like too good of a deal. Give us a nice range report. Would be awesome to hear that theyre a good buy.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
what are the internal parts made of? plastic, pot metal, etc...? where are they cutting corners?
My understanding is everything is milled 4140 steel, including the extractors which are MIM in the 870. But I'm no metallurgist.

Difference is probably marketing and labor costs.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Couldn't buy something like that over here for that price. :eek:
And sometimes impulse buys just work out..... :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts