Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy at work brought this in for me. He said he's had it for a year and doesn't reload. Just looking for any input on this powder that anyone may have. I'll look up load data later if you guys think it's something I can use for .357 or .38 special.

Thanks. :)

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I haven't loaded Handgun cartridges with it. If it gives it in the loading manuals it would be ok. Its a very good Rifle powder. I use it for 30-06 and shot some recently that was loaded in 1980.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
That is a rifle powder. And it looks like a very old can too! I use it for 30/06 and .308.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey Bountyhunter, you better hold on to it. The way you buy guns a 30-30 or some other rifle may not be that far off. It can sit on your shelf as easily as it sits on your buds. Three weeks ago I had no thought of reloading for rifle and now I have a press and 2 sets of dies. But no powder.

·
Super Moderator
21,486 Posts
IMR 4064 is the most accurate powder for my 30/06. If you look at the relative speed chart of each powder you will see it is suitable for rifle loads.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Bountyhunter BEWARE! There are lots of incidents out there where someone got some powder from someone else who doesn't reload who got it from who knows where and after loading some rounds the person with the powder unpleasantly found out that the powder in the can was not what was on the label.

IF the can is sealed and it looks and smells OK then you're OK. But use caution.

j

·
Registered
758 Posts
It has been about three years or so since IMR came in cans so it is not ancient.

IMR 4064 always worked great for my .243.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Somebody gave me a can of Hercules powder. I just hang onto it for a conversation piece.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It's nearly impossible to identify IMR-4064 by looking at it. I use it in my .308 Winchester and 30/30's. I've have some cans of that vintage, and it's a least 20 years old.

I don't stock up on IMR powders, because the only powders I've ever had deteriorate were IMR-4064 and IMR-4198. Don't get me wrong, I've had great results with them, but I don't keep them on the shelf for more than 10 years. On the other hand, I've used 50 year old Unique that performed perfectly.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
4064 used to be the go to powder for the .30-06, & it's not bad in the .375 H&H either. It has a wide range of uses in rifle cartridges. As 454PB says unsess you know the source really well & trust him explicitly saving $20.00 isn't worth the possible damage if it's not really 4064Frank

·
Registered
197 Posts
That picture could be either brand of 4831 or 4350 also. That's why you should never try to identify a powder by its looks.

What Frank said-$20

·
Registered
8 Posts
4064 is my go to powder in my .30-06. I also use it some for 200 gr. bullets in my .35 Remington. Only problem I have with it is the long extrusions make it hard to get accurate weights through the powder measure. So I weigh each charge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.