Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used IMR-4227 in .357 Magnum handloads loads, topped with 125 gr., 140 gr. Hornady XTP bullets, for my Ruger 77/357 for a couple of years now. I get very good accuracy with that combination.

I just picked up a Ruger SP101 with a 2 1/4" barrel. As I already have about 5 pounds of IMR-4227 on hand, I want to use it for pistol loads. However, I can not find any data for the pistol loads. I am not really scared of over pressurization, but I just know that I would get a really large gout of flame out of the barrel if I shoot my rifle rounds.

Has anyone used the IMR-4227 for cast LSWC bullets in a stubby?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I loaded some 158 grain swc. with imr 4227. I kinda liked the stuff. I plan on using much more for my magnum loads. my bullets were plain based and I suffered no leading at max load.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My son had me try some of his 4227 for my 3" SP101 ... I wasn't really impressed. I tend to stick to AA#9 and A2400 for the hotter loads, and Unique for the milder stuff.

jd

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have experimented with 4227 in 357 using cast, never really found that "perfect" load, although I really like 4227 for 44mag. I too have had better luck with 2400 in 357, both with cast and jacketed hps. There definitely is some loading data out there, although I can't remember exactly where I found it.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
All I shoot is lead bullets. That said, back when I tested 158g SWC with IMR 4227 from 10.2g to 14.0g. Only load that I marked as accurate was the 10.2g load (900fps out of 6 1/2" barrel). Go figure. Of course you always use a Magnum primer with 4227 for best results. I did find a good load with IMR 4227 in .45 Colt that I occasionally use. Problem I had with it, is the 'amount' you use as I was running out of powder all the time. Now I use Green Dot which is much more economical.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've been using IMR4227 with cast bullets in my 44 magnum and 45 Colt.
Accuracy is great but I'm getting a tremendous amount of unburned powder.

Loads are about midrange of the loading data and I'm using Winchester large pistol primers which are supposed to be magnum primers too.

Will switching to a "true" magnum primer clean up the unburned powder?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've been using IMR4227 with cast bullets in my 44 magnum and 45 Colt.
Accuracy is great but I'm getting a tremendous amount of unburned powder.

Loads are about midrange of the loading data and I'm using Winchester large pistol primers which are supposed to be magnum primers too.

Will switching to a "true" magnum primer clean up the unburned powder?
It did not help me.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
My son had me try some of his 4227 for my 3" SP101 ... I wasn't really impressed. I tend to stick to AA#9 and A2400 for the hotter loads, and Unique for the milder stuff.

jd
Yep been there done that acurate#9 is the good powder

Thewelshm

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Well then, I'm finished with IMR4227. I really don't care the unburned powder.
You haven't shoot any black powder lately have you ;) . That said, it shouldn't be about little granules or a bit dirty on your firearm... For me it is all about accuracy. I'll use an accurate dirty, funny smelling load any day over a 'clean for breeze' non-accurate load. Any residue doesn't hurt anything and cleans right up. But that's me :) .

·
Registered
329 Posts
IMR4227 likes heavy bullets and loaded to just at compressed or just above. It also likes a heavy crimp and prefers long tubed revolvers or carbines. It is my powder of choice for 270-300 grain bullets in my .44 carbines and for 300 grainers in my .460. Never had that much luck with it in .357 or with light for caliber bullets.

·
Registered
397 Posts
IMR4227 likes heavy bullets and loaded to just at compressed or just above. It also likes a heavy crimp and prefers long tubed revolvers or carbines. It is my powder of choice for 270-300 grain bullets in my .44 carbines and for 300 grainers in my .460. Never had that much luck with it in .357 or with light for caliber bullets.
I have found that to be true.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I've used in in 22 Hornet an K Hornet loads. Also, some 357 mag. stuff. It worked okay.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts