Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any comments on this powder for .38 spcl. I started using it with 158grn. LSWC in a Lee Handload kit per there included chart. Haven't seen anyone talk about this powder on any forums.Is it obsolete,maybe much better powders?I am getting ready to move up to a press and powder charger.The Lee .5 dipper holds 4.7 grns. of 800x. I am shooting an LCR and seem to get a little unburned powder.Wondering if I can reduce this and how much.I am only using these loads for target practice but do not want to wind up with a bullet stuck in the barrel.

·
Banned
367 Posts
Haven't used it in years(last time I reloaded for a pistol), but it gave some wicked-fast speeds in my 10mm.

·
Banned
619 Posts
The single best application of IMR 800-X in handgun cartridges is the the 10mm. Particularly reloaders that are weighing each individual powder charge. 800-X was originally introduced for magnum shotgun loads. It has a very large flake size. The largest I know of.

If you were to weigh the charges you are throwing with the .5cc dipper I think you would find a noticeable variation in charge weights. 800-X does not meter well using most powders measures. For this reason along with its slower burn rate, I would not use it for .38 Special.

Extruded flake powders get a lot of recommendation for .38 Special, particularly Unique. I started handloading with an extruded flake powder and that was Blue Dot in the .41 Magnum. It was many years before I discovered the virtue of ball (spherical) powders. Now, they are all I use for loading handgun cartridges. They meter much better than extruded flake and there are so many good ball powders that you can find a good one for any handgun application. In particular, W231 is used for many such applications and it is frequently used for .38 Special. The only fault that I have with it is that it burns somewhat dirty. No problem because there is one even better that is nearly identical to W231 and burns cleaner. That would be Ramshot ZIP. It also gives a bit better performance in most handgun cartridges.

Regardless of which powder you use you will find better uniformity of charge weights, whether thrown with a powder measure or dippers, when using ball (spherical) powder. If you want a higher perfomance powder than ZIP, Ramshot also makes a powder called Silhouette and there is good data for .38 Special. If I were out to make high perfromance defense loads for .38 Special and +P is what I'm talking about, I would use Silhouette because it also has a flash inhibitor so you don't get a giant fireball when you shoot your loads at night. Vihta Vouri also has several ball (spherical) powders like N340, 3N37, N350 that will work well but they are considerably more expensive than Silhouette and ZIP. Silhouette also works extremely well in 9mm and .40 S&W loads should you ever decide to start loading those.

You can find data for ZIP and Silhouette at www.ramshot.com

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the info.Unless there is a safety issue with it I will continue to use it for my .38 as I have a pound of it and am on I tight budget. I've loaded/fired 300 rounds so far with no signs of any issues.It shoots acurrately (at snubnose distances) and the only thing I've seen is some unburned powder,not much, maybe a dozen flakes after 100 rounds.I was wondering if reducing the charge would stop that and if so how low can I go?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Actually, powders burn more efficiently at higher pressures so dropping the charge could result in even more unburned flakes. You might get an improvement from increasing your charge if you can do it without pushing the max.

From what I can see on the net, a little unburned powder is pretty much a given for 800x in a snubbie and you either ignore it or use a faster powder.

·
Registered
333 Posts
In 45LC, it depends on what you are doing with it. 45LC is used for everything from lightweight cowboy action loads to loads approaching 44 magnum power. 800X is listed by IMR as being superb in magnum loads so it should work great on the heavy side of the scale. For the lighter side of the scale, it will go bang and push the bullet down the barrel but I would prefer to use a faster powder.

I'm not familiar with 480 so I have no idea how it would be in that application.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Unless there is a safety issue with it I will continue to use it for my .38 as I have a pound of it and am on I tight budget.
Been there.

Be careful dropping the charge with 800X. Great stuff, but it has a bit of a problem on the low end with ignition, especially if it gets cold. Lead, not so bad, jacketed, bring a wooden dowel, and hammer. You will likely need it.

When you have a couple extra dollars, grab some Bullseye. It's been the standard for target loads in the .38 since dirt was new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will be using hi-skor 800-x in a ruger blackhawk new mod. 45 lc. 9.5grs seemed a little light. i've had this gun since 1973.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Waking up an old thread?

I worked up from 9.0 to 9.5 gr 800-X under a 255 gr plated bullet for my 45LC Blackhawk and Vaquero. 9.2 just seemed to work best for me in both. I do see a few flakes after shooting and I have to be really careful to avoid light loads but since I weigh every load anyway, that's not really an issue for me.

I tried it in a 357 Vaquero but it put out a little more flash than I like.

Tried it in a 40S&W - worked well there with a nice firm recoil.

Did well in a 45ACP in my Blackhawk convertible. Surprisingly soft recoil.

·
Registered
63 Posts
800x

Have used it for years, ever since getting a load for my 41 mag from George Nonte-- Have used it for just about every thing, including 32 mag. A few years back I relented and began using W231 for range fodder, but ALL hunting ammo is loaded with 800X. Yes, in my 10MM I would never consider anything else in a hunting load. Of course, I refer to handguns. In the reload shop a couple days ago and saw 8#'s has gone to $175.00 up from the last time I bought a can, which was $65.00. Glad I have plenty. :):eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
800x

Have been using Win 231 for years, but, because of shortage, picked up Hi-Skor 800X. Has anyone had experience using it to load 9mm (147gr) and .45ACP (200gr)? (New to forum, so if I'm asking a long-ago-resolved question, my apologies).

Any loading data appreciated.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I have used 700X and 800X for .380, 9mm, .40 and .45 - it does not meter well for me below about 3 grains - and if loaded towards the low end of the range doesn't produce enough recoil for semi-autos with heavy slides/recoil springs.

I haven't used it yet in the .38/.357 revolver (mostly because I've only had it a week and though I have dies I don't have any projectiles yet).

PowerPistol seems to work better in my 9mm and .40.

I would like to try Unique or Titegroup or a couple others - if I could find any.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Have been using Win 231 for years, but, because of shortage, picked up Hi-Skor 800X. Has anyone had experience using it to load 9mm (147gr) and .45ACP (200gr)? (New to forum, so if I'm asking a long-ago-resolved question, my apologies).

Any loading data appreciated.
Hodgdon's data center has data, and also there is this old IMR data:

http://www.imrpowder.com/data/handgun/9mmluger.php
http://www.imrpowder.com/data/handgun/45acp.php

The OP is really old, but I like 800x a lot in .38 and .44 Special, as well as in moderate .357 and .44 Mag. It seems to be maligned a bit on the Internet. I don't have much to compare it to though, as I've only used two powders. But I like it, I can load a wide range of power levels with it. And it's fairly fluffy. Even with lighter charges the case is >50% full.

I do get a fair bit of "husks" of partially burned powder, translucent disks of it. I also have an electronic powder measure and a single-stage press, so the whole metering thing doesn't affect me.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Great powder in .45 ACP....Ken Waters of Handloader magazine had good things to say about its versatility in that caliber...but it is one hellofa PITA to meter accurately. I've had a pound of it for 15 years, found that Water's was correct in that it gave me superb groups, but short of Camp Perry, I'd never choose it for loading...no thoughts on .38 special. Rod

·
Registered
2 Posts
juknelis

I have been loading S&S 200 gr SWC with IMR 800X. I Have learned
several things over the past few months.

I have a 6.2 gr load, 800X , that is averaging about 825 fps. It shoots
clean, BUT I USE A PAPER TOWEL 5/8"X5/8" 1 MILL WAD OVER THE
POWDER TO HOLD IT UP AGAINST THE PRIMER. I just push the wad
over the powder with the eraser end of a pencil, " softly".

I also use either Winchester LPP or CCI 350 Magnum Primers. The Spread
is about 25 fps.

I am shooting this out of a Colt 45ACP 1911 with 5" Barrel .
The same bullet shot out of my Colt Defender gave me a high velocity of 741
and a low of 660 fps. What i had to do was add .4 gr to the 6.2 , my
belief was low pressure was the cause of the wide spread. So I shoot
6.6 gr. out of the Defender with the same wad placement. This gave
me about 800 fps and a spread of about 35 fps. It is not a bad load.

7.1 gr wasn't bad with the Defender Either!!! 880fps, 30 fps spread.

Another Key to this is weighing your powder accurately. I have a Lees
Classic Reloader and 800X varies .4 of a gr using the .76 port.

That .4 can cause a spread of 60 fps. So if you can meter your powder
accurately, 800X can burn clean, in the barrel, and shoots accurately
with a decent velocity spread.

The slide and frame get dirty much faster than my Clays loads, but
for what i consider junk power 800X is performing pretty good for me.

Got 14oz of Clays Last Week!!! Maybe It Is Coming Back!!!

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I have been loading S&S 200 gr SWC with IMR 800X. I Have learned
several things over the past few months.

I have a 6.2 gr load, 800X , that is averaging about 825 fps. It shoots
clean, BUT I USE A PAPER TOWEL 5/8"X5/8" 1 MILL WAD OVER THE
POWDER TO HOLD IT UP AGAINST THE PRIMER. I just push the wad
over the powder with the eraser end of a pencil, " softly".

I also use either Winchester LPP or CCI 350 Magnum Primers. The Spread
is about 25 fps.

I am shooting this out of a Colt 45ACP 1911 with 5" Barrel .
The same bullet shot out of my Colt Defender gave me a high velocity of 741
and a low of 660 fps. What i had to do was add .4 gr to the 6.2 , my
belief was low pressure was the cause of the wide spread. So I shoot
6.6 gr. out of the Defender with the same wad placement. This gave
me about 800 fps and a spread of about 35 fps. It is not a bad load.

7.1 gr wasn't bad with the Defender Either!!! 880fps, 30 fps spread.

Another Key to this is weighing your powder accurately. I have a Lees
Classic Reloader and 800X varies .4 of a gr using the .76 port.

That .4 can cause a spread of 60 fps. So if you can meter your powder
accurately, 800X can burn clean, in the barrel, and shoots accurately
with a decent velocity spread.

The slide and frame get dirty much faster than my Clays loads, but
for what i consider junk power 800X is performing pretty good for me.

Got 14oz of Clays Last Week!!! Maybe It Is Coming Back!!!

You should take a look at Hodgdons Online Reloading Data Center.
They list a range of 6.9 to 7.7 for your 800X & a 200 gr. SWC & use a COL of 1.225"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts