Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have dies on the way for my Ruger Vaquero. Would like to use powder that I have on hand which is Lil' gun, H-110 and Accurate #2. Would be using Berry's 230gr. FMJ or 185 gr. Hornady XTP bullets. Thanks

· Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
2,201 Posts
I'm not sure any of those powders are particularly good for 45LC.
Berry's 230gr bullets are plated and not FMJ, you would use cast lead load data for them.

and as mentioned you should probably get yourself a reloading manual or two.

· Registered
6,268 Posts
I've not used those bullets. That said H-110 and Lil' gun are not powders to use for this application, so put them aside and forget about them. AA#2 should work fine for light loads. Looking around I do see loads for #2 powder under 200gr bullets, so should be suitable for 230gr bullets. You'll just have to do some research. My experience is with >= 250gr bullets in .45 Colt and lead only. BTW, those plated Berry bullets, you can treat as lead bullets if looking for load data.

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry forgot to mention, not a new vaquero. Do have a few loading manuals (Lee and Lyman 49th edition) but was hoping someone had worked up some loads that would work with what I have.

· Registered
6,268 Posts
Even with the original Vaquero, those bullets you have aren't made (my understanding) for ROL loads which is what your H110 and Lit' Gun are for. So AA#2 seems your best bet in this case to work up some loads that work for your gun.

Reactions: Blutbad

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Even with the original Vaquero, those bullets you have aren't made (my understanding) for ROL loads which is what your H110 and Lit' Gun are for. So AA#2 seems your best bet in this case to work up some loads that work for your gun.
Thanks. Have 8 Lbs. of AA#2 that I use for 9mm. Will just purchase some 200 gr. RNFP's. Thats if I can find any in stock.

· Registered
6,268 Posts
Why such light bullets? 'Normal' .45 Colt loads use bullets in the 250gr range. Like 250gr RNFP. Unless you are cowboy action shooting where puff loads are the thing, why not stick with a bullet weight that was designed for the .45 Colt cartridge? Just my way of thinking :) .

Here is where you can buy bullets of your choice (in stock) . I use them all the time : Rimrock Bullets

· Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
2,201 Posts
Why such light bullets? 'Normal' .45 Colt loads use bullets in the 250gr range. Like 250gr RNFP. Unless you are cowboy action shooting where puff loads are the thing, why not stick with a bullet weight that was designed for the .45 Colt cartridge? Just my way of thinking :) .

Here is where you can buy bullets of your choice (in stock) . I use them all the time : Rimrock Bullets
That is my thought as well.
250gr is what I have stocked for 45LC and I have never loaded that cartridge yet. :ROFLMAO:

· Premium Member
10,922 Posts
I load all my 45 Colts with Laser Cast bullets with a Brinell hardness of 15 which does not foul the barrel. 250 gr RNFP with Trail Boss @ 5.3 or Unique 8.4gr. Just started to use 244 @ 4.6gr. These are not Rugers guns. Uberti Cattleman , Outlaw and Interarms Virginian Dragoon. But should all work in your gun. These are not by any means hot loads.

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Agreed on the 250 gr. bullets. Went with acme. Will see how good these are.
45 Colt 250 RNFP-Coated
45 Colt 250 RNFP-Coated
Brand: Acme Bullet Co.
Product Code: 45 Colt 250 RNFP - Coated
Price: $19.40

No quantity discount available
8 item(s) in stock
Available Options

* Package sizes:
100 per pack
500 per pack

· Registered
77 Posts
Have dies on the way for my Ruger Vaquero. Would like to use powder that I have on hand which is Lil' gun, H-110 and Accurate #2. Would be using Berry's 230gr. FMJ or 185 gr. Hornady XTP bullets. Thanks
Ditto on what others have said about powders, AA#2 is a bit fast, IMO for such a large case you'd have a very small load before you had enough for an overpressure load. AA#5 is listed, though.
If the 185 grain XTP bullets you speak of are the ones listed in the Hornady manual for .45 Auto, I doubt you can make them work in the .45C. The 185's are 0.451 diameter, and do not have a cannelure to crimp into. Standard .45 Colt bullets are 0.452 and have a cannelure, and should be roll crimped. The .451's would probably not have enough neck tension and would set back, even if you taper crimp them.

I tried as an experiment to load a couple of 200 grain .451's for my .45C, and could not get them tight in the case. I also load for .45 Auto, so I have those bullets on hand, but I only use the cannelured 250 grain .452's for .45C loads. I shoot fairly mild loads, my .45C gun is a S&W M25.

· Registered
138 Posts
Ditto on what others have said about powders, AA#2 is a bit fast, IMO for such a large case you'd have a very small load before you had enough for an overpressure load. AA#5 is listed, though.
If the 185 grain XTP bullets you speak of are the ones listed in the Hornady manual for .45 Auto, I doubt you can make them work in the .45C. The 185's are 0.451 diameter, and do not have a cannelure to crimp into. Standard .45 Colt bullets are 0.452 and have a cannelure, and should be roll crimped. The .451's would probably not have enough neck tension and would set back, even if you taper crimp them.

I tried as an experiment to load a couple of 200 grain .451's for my .45C, and could not get them tight in the case. I also load for .45 Auto, so I have those bullets on hand, but I only use the cannelured 250 grain .452's for .45C loads. I shoot fairly mild loads, my .45C gun is a S&W M25.
Messy Breeches,
The Lee collet crimp die might work for loading jacketed bullets without a cannelure. They say it
doesn’t need a crimp groove.
This was suggested in the comments section of this Youtube video by FortuneCookie45LC:

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Will this work for non XTP bullets? Have previously mentioned powder coated bullets on the way.
Print Data|Email Data
Expand All|Collapse All
IMPERIALMETRIC
Your search returned 2 loads
Twist:
1:16.000"
Barrel Length: 7.250"
Trim Length: 1.280"
BULLET WEIGHT
250 GR. HDY XTP
CASE
WINCHESTER
PRIMER
WINCHESTER LP, LARGE PISTOL

Starting LoadMaximum Loads
ManufacturerPowderBullet Diam.C.O.LGrs.Vel. (ft/s)PressureGrs.Vel. (ft/s)Pressure
HodgdonH110BUY NOW0.452"1.600"25.71,39827,000 CUP26.51,45529,800 CUP
HodgdonLil'GunBUY NOW0.452"1.600"23.51,33125,800 CUP25.51,41029,800 CUP

Stay connected

· Registered
491 Posts
I use 180-200 gr lead bullets in my .45colt for my revolvers and 225-250s in my rifles. I also use shotgun powders like Clays, Red Dot, Clay Dot, Bullseye etc. The lighter bullets are easier on my arthritic knuckles. All my Rugers are the old Vaqueros. Used 4 of them last Saturday at my cas clubs Josey Wales match. Came in first. A fun day. Sorry I can’t be more helpful. I only use jacketed .45 bullets in my 45acp. Would also say get a manual or download the info from the powder company’s website. Good shooting.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts