Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our family dog died suddenly and I am now starting to look for a puppy.
I am looking for a family dog and pal, if the dog could hunt a bit that would be a plus.
What do you look at (for) when you pick out a puppy?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
The reason I like dogs is they love you back....always glad to see you and show it...give me the one with the thumpity tail and the eager look that says "I know you're here to play with me"....my terrier/dachsund mix is at the door wagging his tail and yelping every time I get home...can't say that much for my wife!!!!!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
If you want a large family dog for going out in the woods or fishing you can't beat a Lab. If you have a swimming pool just remember you can't keep them out of the water. You will not want to anyways as a tennis ball and water go right along with a Lab. Now if you want a good little yapper a Doxie is a real good one. Ours has been great. Both these breeds are great with kids and fit right in with the family.

·
Count Ursunk
3,324 Posts
Hard to beat a Lab...very smart,loveable,and willing to go huntin and fishin anytime. Just remember,when you get on a good bream bed,you gotta tie the dog down or else it will fetch yo cork for ya. I had the joy of a Labs friendship for 12 years. Great dogs!!!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
First off, sorry to hear about your dog. I would be heart broken if I lost mine.

When you decide what type of dog you want, looking at your local shelter can be a good thing. If you look at litters of pups take all the male, or female, depending on what sex you want and play with them. Watch the pups. You'll most likely notice that some will prefer the company of their litter mates. Some will prefer to hang with you. Of the ones that hang with you, you'll notice, "The one". By letting the pup pick you, you'll end up with a best friend for life. I wish you the best of luck in your search.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I too am sorry for your loss. I agree, go to the shelter and find you a friend for life as they have to have a home or be put down. If I ever win the lotto, I think I would have a big place and all dogs would be welcome but couldn't say that for most people. A dog loves you for you ya don't need money or be important, just show them a little love.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I am sorry to hear of your loss. Lots of great pets available at http://www.petfinder.com/. Many of the no-kill shelters post their available pets there.

Please consider an older puppy or dog. Once puppies pass 6 months they are very difficult to place since they are past the cutest puppy stage. There are also a lot of excellent dogs 3+ years old that need homes. Our last dog was 8 when we got him since his owner couldn't keep him any longer and they were going to have him put down. He was with us for 8 1/2 years. I miss him every day. Our current two were both rescues, one at 6 months, one at 1 year. If your interested in an excellent all around family dog that is not a hunter look into the Belgian Sheepdog. The rescue organization for them is at http://belgianrescuelist.ambercreek.net/about.htm and http://www.bsdrescue.com/. The Groenendael's have a great sense of humor and are fun to have around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts