Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately the turkeys aren't. I arrived in camp last night, so this morning is really scouting with a shotgun. Moved several times, but only heard a few extremely distant gobbles. I set up in a favorite location anyway and tried a few calls without response. I decided to sit tight and enjoy a beautiful Spring morning. I have had five deer walk by within 30yds. A flight of Canada Geese went right over my head. It was above freezing, but I had to scrape frost off my windshield this morning. It was still and mist hung over the pond. The sky is blue and the sun is shining. I am relaxed and happy. My hunt is already successful and I have yet to see a turkey. Happy Easter my friends.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Good luck. I was working at the farm I hunt and turkeys were running around everywhere. Had over 40 in the main field.

I'm sure they will be gone when the season opens....

·
Administrator
22,163 Posts
As I was reading I was thinking you've had a good hunt already. Good luck.

Season starts May 1 in NH. I haven't been hunting the last few years as no one wants to eat them and the poultry allergies I had as a kid are back now that I'm in my second childhood.

·
Super Moderator
4,238 Posts
What you are describing is one of the main reasons I hunt. Michigan turkey season starts April 17th, so I am getting close.

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good luck. I was working at the farm I hunt and turkeys were running around everywhere. Had over 40 in the main field.

I'm sure they will be gone when the season opens....
In deer season I saw lots of turkeys. I saw a flock of hens and jakes with two long beard gobblers the week before season opened. I'll be out scouting this afternoon.

·
Administrator
22,163 Posts
Family time always counts.

Reactions: RJF

·
Exalted One
1,814 Posts
I don't hunt at all. I enjoy the wildlife out on our remote 25-acre farm and have had the Turkeys and deer and rabbits and ground-hogs and squirrels and raccoons and possums and Canada Geese start showing up more frequently, as well as the rare red fox. Birds are chirping and all things are good in my world. Today I get to beat the grass into submission, which keeps the ground-hogs choosing to burrow in the tree lines rather than our pastures. We (and our neighbors) are excited about the Turkeys right now, with fawns following soon.

Nature is wonderful, and for us, all we need do is walk out onto our front porch or to our barn.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
For myself the “hunt” has never been about the harvest, it’s the “hunt”. From what you’ve stated @ngashooter you had a good day. There’s nothing better than watching the woods wake up with the rising sun, especially when none of critters know you’re there. That’s pure relaxation for me. (y)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Last spring I had a wren come and sit on the end of my shotgun barrel as it lay across my knees. She sat there a moment and looked at me as I tried not to shiver in the crisp morning air. She was gone in only a few seconds but it made the whole season a success for me even though I put another unfilled turkey tag in the file cabinet. Sunrise in the woods is always a treat.

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Last spring I had a wren come and sit on the end of my shotgun barrel as it lay across my knees. She sat there a moment and looked at me as I tried not to shiver in the crisp morning air. She was gone in only a few seconds but it made the whole season a success for me even though I put another unfilled turkey tag in the file cabinet. Sunrise in the woods is always a treat.
Today is another gorgeous morning. Your story reminds me of when a flock of hens surrounded me as I pretended to be a statue. I had to work to keep from laughing as a hen tried to eat the bead off my shotgun barrel.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Here in Eastern Montana the Toms are starting to rumble pretty good, watched two of them puffed up and trying to see who was boss from the 4 wheeler when we were out checking for any newborn calves this morning, with 3 hens hanging out to see who would win. They weren't quite in camera range for any cell phone pics, but you could get a good look at them through the scope on the coyote AR. Dad and I aren't much on turkey hunting and they must have a 6th sense on that because checking cows you can often get within 20 yards of most game and not bother them, but the minute my uncle shows up with a tag they're nowhere to be found.

·
Administrator
22,163 Posts
Congrats on the turkey.

·
Registered
332 Posts
1 for me. Good fodder for the smoker.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Nice birds you guys shot. Here is one I called in for a buddy a few years ago. Nobody on our farm killed a bird this year. I didn't get to hunt this year myself.....sigh.
Turkey.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts