Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a low-number (2811) .22 Single Six with an indexing problem.
When the pistol is cocked the cylinder advances to the right and is "tight". However if the cylinder is moved sligthly by hand after cocking , it rotates sightly to the left - - no longer lined up completely with the barrel.
Can this be a simple fix OR should I send it to the factory?

·
Registered
626 Posts
ERROR -- 28191 is the serial #
If your cylinder locking bolt is locked into the cylinder notch and only can be moved "slightly" it's probably ok depending on how you define "slightly". "Tight" I assume means locked cylinder. My GP100s cylinder can be moved slightly side to side after lockup too. A more detailed description of your issue is needed before anyone can really advise you. Welcome and good luck.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,144 Posts
Ruger no longer provides service for discontinued models. Your Old Model Single-Six went out of production in 1973.

There are only a few things that could cause your problem. One is the lock notches in the cylinder. Check to make sure they are clean so the cylinder latch can get a good hold. Next is the pawl. It is directly connected to the hammer so if it has worn beyond limits, it will not rotate the cylinder far enough to latch. Last are the cylinder latch and latch spring. If the spring has weakened or if the latch is worn, the cylinder will not stay latched. If the gun was oiled too much, the old gummy oil won't let the cylinder latch move freely.

The first thing to do is to give the gun a good cleaning with powder solvent .... inside and out. If that doesn't fix it, you may need a new pawl or cylinder latch.

Reactions: needsmostuff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a low-number (2811) .22 Single Six with an indexing problem.
When the pistol is cocked the cylinder advances to the right and is "tight". However if the cylinder is moved sligthly by hand after cocking , it rotates sightly to the left - - no longer lined up completely with the barrel.
Can this be a simple fix OR should I send it to the factory?
Ruger no longer provides service for discontinued models. Your Old Model Single-Six went out of production in 1973.

There are only a few things that could cause your problem. One is the lock notches in the cylinder. Check to make sure they are clean so the cylinder latch can get a good hold. Next is the pawl. It is directly connected to the hammer so if it has worn beyond limits, it will not rotate the cylinder far enough to latch. Last are the cylinder latch and latch spring. If the spring has weakened or if the latch is worn, the cylinder will not stay latched. If the gun was oiled too much, the old gummy oil won't let the cylinder latch move freely.

The first thing to do is to give the gun a good cleaning with powder solvent .... inside and out. If that doesn't fix it, you may need a new pawl or cylinder latch.
Thanks! I'll try for cylinder latch and pawl from Ruger. Cross my fingers.
GG

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,144 Posts
Greasy Grass, If your OM Single-Six has not been converted with the transfer bar, Ruger will do it for free. This includes a new cylinder latch. Non-converted models and converted models use a totally different cylinder latch, hammer, trigger, base bin, and a few other minor parts. You can not order any of the old origional parts from Ruger. My suggestion .... send your gun back to Ruger and have the transfer bar modification done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts