Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings...happy New Year to all. I'm getting ready to reload 9mm for the first time.(have 30 years experience w/ other calibers)I'll be shooting 124 grn JHPS and maybe some 115 JHPs too. Most of my shooting will be done with 115 hard cast lead pills. What brass do you recommend? Primers? I am not up on all the new propellants....what do you experienced folks advise? My new P89 is going to need a LOT of feeding. What 9mm dies do you recommend? Any "TRICKS" .... peculiarities I need to know about when loading the 9mm....... ie: trimmed case length dimension.....what are your pet loads/recipes? Thanks all. Mg.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Happy New Year! Most of my brass I pick up at the range. Generally most is ww. Some rp. My KP95 doesn't mind. Power Pistol has been the most accruate in mine but I also like Titegroup, Bullseye, Red Dot. For lead reloads just start out on the low end to avoid leading. I use Lee Carbide Dies.I genarally do not trim the case lenght, I find that they are in range for oal. My favorite load is 6.2grs of Power Pistol with 124gr XTP. Good Luck with all

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm with putteral on the brass issue, seems like "NO -ONE" picks-up 9mm brass anymore. I started reloading 9mm for my then new P-85 with SOLO powders, but never could get it to group lead bullets.(122CP's)

Went with Bullseye and bulk 115JHP's and never looked back. With lead you have to keep the velocity down to avoid bbl leading, but still hot enough for reliable cycling. 3 > 3.5grs Bullseye should get you started.

I up-graded?, to a P-89 in 89 and it also prefers jacketed bullets. Go easy on the case belling to avoid bulged cases. Once you get your dies set, lock'em down and use extra turrets for caliber changes. It only cost a few dollars and is well worth it in time and frustration savings.

Start slow and safe, you're going to love the feeling of those first few rounds of home-grown ammo going down-range... :D

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Any and all brass. Lee dies. Bullseye powder. Been using them all for 20 years now (no, not the same brass before anyone smarts off!) and have been completely happy with Bullseye and my Lee dies. The only "trick" to loading 9mm is that it is taper crimped, not roll crimped, so you have to keep that in mind. When I 1st loaded 9mm, I thought it should look more like my .357s and I just kept trying to crimp it more, with the obvious outcome or ruining several rounds before I figured out what I was doing wrong.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My personal favorite is HS-6 in 9mm.

One reason cast bullets have a bad reputation in the 9mm is that they are usually sized too small. A .355" cast bullet will cause leading and inaccuracy in many if not all guns. I size mine .357" and have no leading or accuracy problems. Make sure your 9 will accept and feed the larger size first. I use the .357" size in my P-85, P-89, and an old BB Hi-Power.

·
Registered
146 Posts
A bullet brand I have just discovered and like is Magnus Bullets. I get mine from MidSouth Shooters Supply since they are close by, no shipping fee (http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com). I pay about $25 for 250 JHP 125gr, they look some what like the Rem bullets.
I use Hodgdon powders, Universal, HP38 and LongShot using medium loadings and just about any primer (I like Federal).
These have turned out to be accurate and pretty clean with easy clean up.
I am shooting them from a CZ 75 Compact 9mm.
Go to http://www.hodgdon.com for loading info.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I like Blue Dot and Titegroup, but Unique as also a wonderful powder because it burns absolutely clean at 9mm pressures. That's been my go-to powder lately. AA#7 is also a good choice.

Brass is any American-made range pick-ups. I can pick up so much of it for free that I can afford to cull out all the second-tier stuff. I've never trimmed one, ever.

I use Lee Deluxe Carbide dies in the 4-die set because of the Lee FCD as the fourth step. The FCD is indispensible IMHO.

I've used WSP, Federal 100, and CCI primers with equal results. So now I hoarde my Federal Small Pistol primers and just use Winchester and CCI for my 9mm loads.

ZERO Bullet makes a very accurate 9mm bullet, as does Hornady in their XTP line. Powder Valley has a really nice price on Winchester 115-gr and 124-gr FMJs and they are very good bullets.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Originally posted by 454PB

My personal favorite is HS-6 in 9mm.

One reason cast bullets have a bad reputation in the 9mm is that they are usually sized too small. A .355" cast bullet will cause leading and inaccuracy in many if not all guns. I size mine .357" and have no leading or accuracy problems. Make sure your 9 will accept and feed the larger size first. I use the .357" size in my P-85, P-89, and an old BB Hi-Power.
Reading up on the 9 I learned about the cast bullet issue and immediately surmised that sizing would be important. But I didn't discover the detail you've provided ......so I'll say thanks for the useful info. BTW Happy New Year. Mg.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quote:Originally posted by nitesite

I like Blue Dot and Titegroup, but Unique as also a wonderful powder because it burns absolutely clean at 9mm pressures. That's been my go-to powder lately. AA#7 is also a good choice.

Brass is any American-made range pick-ups. I can pick up so much of it for free that I can afford to cull out all the second-tier stuff. I've never trimmed one, ever.

I use Lee Deluxe Carbide dies in the 4-die set because of the Lee FCD as the fourth step. The FCD is indispensible IMHO.

I've used WSP, Federal 100, and CCI primers with equal results. So now I hoarde my Federal Small Pistol primers and just use Winchester and CCI for my 9mm loads.

ZERO Bullet makes a very accurate 9mm bullet, as does Hornady in their XTP line. Powder Valley has a really nice price on Winchester 115-gr and 124-gr FMJs and they are very good bullets.
I've got Unique, Accurate 7 and Blue Dot to play around with. I'm gonna try Power pistol too. I've read rave reviews on those Winchesters and I'm getting a bunch.Thanks for detailed response. Good luck in 08. Mg.

·
Registered
68 Posts
M-Gunner~

I apologize because I made a misleading statement. :(

I originally typed Red Dot, but quickly edited my post to say Blue Dot. Actually, I was initially correct when I said Red Dot.

(I may have been thinking about a 10mm load I like. Anyway, I want to correct myself.)

Lately I've been using Unique trying to get better performance. So far, it's been OK. But look at the Red Dot numbers I got back on April 7, 2007.

Mixed Brass
Red Dot 4.3 grains
124-gr X-Treme plated LRN bullet
Federal 100 small pistol primer
OAL 1.099"
Lee FCD

Altitude 669' (Gun and ammo @ room temp) 72°F

HI 1090.73
LO 1070.47
AV 1078.43
ES 20.26
SD 7.41

So Red Dot might work for you.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I would get one these gages sure will help you out before range day. If your load ammo won't go in the gage its not going to chamber in your gun. I use one for 45 acp. never had a hick-up since.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would get one these gages sure will help you out before range day. If your load ammo won't go in the gage its not going to chamber in your gun. I use one for 45 acp. never had a hick-up since.
Thanks. .....Snuffy....good idea.......I'm a lucky guy in that I can make my own gauge.......just for fun.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
well never thought of that lol, guess I need to say oops lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.