Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased this Vaquero. From what I can gather is a Sheriff's model. But I noticed the grips came off of something else from the Ruger 60th anniversary and do not appear to fit right. Are these not Vaquero grips or do the Sheriff's model use different size grips? Obviously I am going to purchase different grips for it. And I am looking and getting a cowboy style holster and belt. Who or where would you recommend at looking at?

Thanks!
Hand tool Tool Wood Household hardware Gas

Door Wood Gas Automotive exhaust Nickel

Wood Revolver Gun accessory Jewellery Gas

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Remove a grip and check to see if the locking hole was modified to fit the grip or the grip frame was changed to the larger frame? New Vaqueros use the XR3 grips (small frame), where XR3-Red fit the larger frame grips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Remove a grip and check to see if the locking hole was modified to fit the grip or the grip frame was changed to the larger frame? New Vaqueros use the XR3 grips (small frame), where XR3-Red fit the larger frame grips.
I'll check the inside the grip when I get home, but from what you are saying, it looks like it has the XR3 grips on there and should have XR-3 Red?

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Ruger website shows it shipped in 2001.

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
Those are obviously not Ruger standard grip panels. That said, the panels should be standard XR3-RED as this is a large frame original Vaquero (unless of course the grip frame was also changed out) . Note that to get perfect fitting grips you'll need to a) get lucky b) send in grip frame to a grip maker and get custom grips installed or c) make your own. At any rate, enjoy your new revolver :) .

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Without a doubt, custom grips will fit better. Here is a decent picture of some Altamonts you can zoom in on to check fit. Mine is an original large frame model. I am more than satisfied with fit.
Revolver Trigger Wood Gun barrel Air gun

If it helps to see another angle, quote me and I’ll take better pictures.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I'll check the inside the grip when I get home, but from what you are saying, it looks like it has the XR3 grips on there and should have XR-3 Red?
It appears you have an Old Model Vaquero with the large grip frame. An XR3-Red grip set will fit it just fine! New to you, but an Old model!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just to be clear, there is no Old Model Vaquero, there’s an original Vaquero and the New Vaquero. The term Old Model should be reserved for the three screws, and that was before the Vaquero’s timeframe.
So by your logic, since there was no Ruger Blackhawk revolver ever stamped or sold as an “Old Model” the term cannot be applied to the three-screw BHs either (what’s wrong with the common “three-screw” moniker)? The terminology police strike again, deciding how others “should” use words.

Language is all about communication, after all that is its reason for being. Even though something was not “officially” called a particular name, a different but more descriptive term could be substituted if it enhances accurate communication. “Old Model” terminology for Blackhawks or Vaqueros may offend purists, but if it reduces confusion - and in this case potentially safety - why not allow it? This is exactly how language evolves over time.

It’s similar to the trivial bickering over the “official” name for the rimmed .45 factory chambering in the Blackhawk. Purists will wring their hands in anguish when they see the name “.45 Long Colt” and will reflexively lash out at the cretins who dare to use the term. But “Long Colt” is a better name for the rimmed cartridge if we want to avoid confusion with the .45 ACP - in the convertible Blackhawks in particular. Many newer - and older - shooters who are not intimately familiar with the cartridges’ histories get them confused when they are referred to simply as .45 Colt. Inserting the “Long” in the name helps to avoid that confusion. Shouldn’t effective communication be the real goal rather than arguing over a caliber developed 150 years ago or being OCD about the names for above revolvers’ changes in design?

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,139 Posts
So by your logic, since there was no Ruger Blackhawk revolver ever stamped or sold as an “Old Model” the term cannot be applied to the three-screw BHs either (what’s wrong with the common “three-screw” moniker)? The terminology police strike again, deciding how others “should” use words.

Language is all about communication, after all that is its reason for being. Even though something was not “officially” called a particular name, a different but more descriptive term could be substituted if it enhances accurate communication. “Old Model” terminology for Blackhawks or Vaqueros may offend purists, but if it reduces confusion - and in this case potentially safety - why not allow it? This is exactly how language evolves over time.

It’s similar to the trivial bickering over the “official” name for the rimmed .45 factory chambering in the Blackhawk. Purists will wring their hands in anguish when they see the name “.45 Long Colt” and will reflexively lash out at the cretins who dare to use the term. But “Long Colt” is a better name for the rimmed cartridge if we want to avoid confusion with the .45 ACP - in the convertible Blackhawks in particular. Many newer - and older - shooters who are not intimately familiar with the cartridges’ histories get them confused when they are referred to simply as .45 Colt. Inserting the “Long” in the name helps to avoid that confusion. Shouldn’t effective communication be the real goal rather than arguing over a caliber developed 150 years ago or being OCD about the names for above revolvers’ changes in design?

You're just going to do what you want, so go ahead. You obviously don't care about facts and enjoy confusing people. Your post is inaccurate in several ways. Terminology and correct language help to clarify the subject of conversation. Terms matter.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Gentlemen ..we all have nomenclature snafus from time to time but blowing each other out of the water over nomenclature is a bit off the mark
True Vaquero and New Vaquero are correct in the strictest sense but in terms discussion it is much simpler to designate old or new Vaquero ..when some one say old your mind goes quickly to the "tanks" sized original plain old Vaquero and when "new Vaquero" is mentioned your mind goes the the smaller grip frame sized new Vaquero with a grip frame size that closely resembles the 1950's Blackhawk which was intentionally designed to look/feel like the Colt 1873
Notice I said the the current New Vaquero closely resembles the original but it IS NOT an XR3 (which was the originals designation) and XR3 grips WILL NOT FIT a New Vaquero ..the New Vaquero has it's own free standing grip frame and grips and will not fit any other Ruger ( but I clearly understand the intent was to stress "smaller of the two and more like a 1950's)
I also believe that the designation Vaquero was in fact first applied to the series of firearms that were issued in essence as fixed sights Blackhawk "like" single actions hence there is no trespassing of words in referring to the first rendition as "Old Vaquero" vs New ( here again there is still no reason to create a negative post ..ask for clarification maybe if you are truly confused ..Or start your own post should you wish to display or share you knowledge about a relevant subject ..I'm sure we could all learn from each other)

But fellas ..don't smack our friends and fellow shooters when we all live in a glass house ..none of us can afford to toss rocks?

Bear

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
The original Vaquero was built on the large grip frame, where the New Model Vaquero is built on the small/mid size grip frame. The original Vaquero is in fact the older model of the two!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Just to be clear, there is no Old Model Vaquero, there’s an original Vaquero and the New Vaquero. The term Old Model should be reserved for the three screws, and that was before the Vaquero’s timeframe.
^^^^^ This is the correct terminology, anything less is the same as re-defining “recession” ^^^^^

The original definition being correct and the new definition being wrong!

The OP has a “newly acquired Vaquero”. 👍

Reactions: FireEscape

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
New Vaquero is semi-official. So follow the same plan with Old Vaquero. No "Model".

1 - 20 of 35 Posts