Ruger Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
The website just says "Vaquero". I think the manual just says Vaquero.

Well, excuuuuse me. With my New Bearcats, the gun says "New Bearcat". As does the manual and most things on the website, like the serial number search.
Forehead Nose Chin Arm Dress shirt

It really makes no difference what I call it or you call it, it’s what Ruger calls it that counts. They call it the New Vaquero and they also call the three screws Old Models. My comment was intended for the OP as he stated he was new to SA revolvers.

Oh, and if you want to call the .45 Colt a Long Colt that’s ok with me too. :cool:

Vaqueros are bigger than New Vaqueros. New Vaqueros are Colt SAA sized. All of mine are .45colt Vaqueros that i put checkered buffalo horn grips on. There’s a lot of good leather available. I personally like Wolf’s Ears belts and half flap holsters.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Well, those of us that know Ruger SAs pretty well, we always refer to pre '73 revolvers (three screw) as the Old Models, post '73 revolvers (transfer bar/2 pins) are referred to as New Models. Simple. Lets keep it that way and keep those terms for that purpose only... Also ALL (yes, all) .44 Magnum SA revolvers fixed sight or adjustable are on the Large Frame no matter what is stamped on the side of the gun. Simple. All Ruger .44 Special revolvers are on the medium frame fixed sights or adjustable. Simple. On the other hand, What to call the original Vaqueros and New Vaqueros .... not so simple due to the variations of how Vaquero/New Vaquero is stamped on the side. That subject will be debated forever I suppose. Personally, I'd of liked them to have called all Vaqueros with the 'new' reverse indexing pawl, 'New Vaqueros' regardless of frame size or caliber.... but alas they didn't. <sigh>

Enjoy your new to you Vaquero.

Lots of choices for grips and leather holsters. Depends on your purpose/syle and how much you want to spend. In general, a good starting point for a simple holster are Triple K or Hunter brands. Both make decent mass produced leather holsters in different styles. It usually goes up in price from there.

Bmac3, looks really good. Enjoy!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.