Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a Blackhawk 357/9mm 3 srew Ser. No. D 30-97XXX with a vent rib. I know that the rib is an add on. How much does that affect the value and can you tell me the manufacture date? The price on the gun is $600.00

I currently have 5 other Blackhawks and a Single Six as well as a P 95. Like my Rugers and all my wheel guns.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
907 Posts
This does not directly answer your question but I say 3 screw good, vent rib BAD, I personally would not pay even close to that amount unless this is some kind of custom work I am unaware of

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
If the vent rib was professionally done, it might be worth picking up. There were some stick on's that were popular for a time for blackhawks, if memory serves, but if it's not that, then it's probably not a detractor.

The fun part about this particular revolver - the serial number. It's a "D" revolver!!! I forget the circumstances, but certain serial numbers were reused by Ruger, denoted by adding the pre-fix "D" to the serial numbers for the duplicates. There's a certain cult following for Duplicate "D" revolvers, especially when a guy can find a matched pair of original and duplicate with the same serial number. The attraction may be a bit less in that case since your D won't match the other original, but again - there's a following for the D's.

$600's on the high end, but not terribly unreasonably so.

Can you post a picture?

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
If the cylinder frame is unmodified, a guy might be able to pick up old model parts and get it back on track. Studded barrels are running around out there, get the right parts, take it back to original. She wouldn't be factory mint, but at least she'd be a factory model D gun.

Might be worth it to get a Ruger letter to certify how it left the factory, look up what that might be worth in general and worth as a D gun, then consider what the refit parts might cost.

It also might just be a stick on vent rib, they were popular several years ago.

Another option, if you're into some leg work, would be to find the original of that serial number and complete the set. I saw a matched pair D & Original sell a few years ago for about 5-6x what one of the revolvers should have sold.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
If the rib is one of the inexpensive aftermarket variety, many of those were simply "glued" onto the gun and can be removed quite easily.

:)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Good info above, those 'Pachmayr ribs' are just 'glued' on, solvent or simply "freezing" and knocking it off by "twisting" and they are usually NOT affecting the blue of the top of the barrel...more harm is done by folks "carelessly" trying to remove these ribs..........
NO added value and does 'destract', $600 is a bit high for even a D gun, would have to have the box,shipper, and all the paper work to get close to those numbers........still sounds nice and they are collectible as well as useable.........

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your information. I am still negotiating between the owner and shop.The owner has come down some.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did get the owner to come down on the price and got it for $500.00. I found the rib to be a Poly Choke and wrote the company. From what I can gather from the site, it is a glue on rib. I hope they will respond to my questions as to how to remove it with out damage to the blueing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts