Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no personal interest in knives but I know there are many that do...just like with firearms, etc. I have a question: I have several pocket knives that were my Dad's and my Grandad's...they are what I believe are called Stockman's knives..My Grandad's knives (2 of them are probably over 100 years old) and Dad's knives probably date to his years on the farm in the 1920's and forward....My Grandad taught me to castrate cattle with the one knife that I have.

I'm a man in my late 70's and frankly have no interest or use for these...my kids would have no interest in them...I thought they might be of interest to a collector because of the age...I've not cleaned, sharpened or touched them for probably over 50 years...

Is there a collectors group where I might get information? I'm sure they are not "big dollar" items...but I'd prefer to see them somewhere that is aware fo what they are than to go to some garage sale picker from Tijuana when I die..

Thanks

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,044 Posts
opos, Yes, there are knife collectors .... just like gun collectors. Most are "brand specific" ... some deal only with folders, some with fixed blades, some with both. There are some forums that may give you some good info. Funny ... older knives seem to appeal to antique collectors, outdoorsmen, and just good ol' knife collectors.

Right now, pocketknives that bring the biggest bucks are those made in the USA, have stag or bone handles, and of course are in excellent condition. I have a rather large collection of US made pocketknives and recently came by an old Case in about 95% condition that was made back in the 1920's. It has jigged bone handles and is in excellent condition. Case still makes a knife much like mine for $65 but my '20s vintage Case would fetch at least $250 to a collector ... probably to a non-collector that could buy a Chinese copy, 20 bucks. There are exceptions ... ie Puma knives that are made in Germany ... some are quite valuable. A point worth mentioning .... just because a knife is old, it doesn't mean it has high collector value.

Here's a place to start .... this web site tells you where to look for identifying marks ... etc. All About Pocket Knives and also has a forum where you may get specific information on your particular knives. There's lots more stuff on the Internet if you Google pocket knives. If you know the brand, a search by brand and type .... ie "Case pocketknives" will usually yield good results.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
opos, Yes, there are knife collectors .... just like gun collectors. Most are "brand specific" ... some deal only with folders, some with fixed blades, some with both. There are some forums that may give you some good info. Funny ... older knives seem to appeal to antique collectors, outdoorsmen, and just good ol' knife collectors.

Right now, pocketknives that bring the biggest bucks are those made in the USA, have stag or bone handles, and of course are in excellent condition. I have a rather large collection of US made pocketknives and recently came by an old Case in about 95% condition that was made back in the 1920's. It has jigged bone handles and is in excellent condition. Case still makes a knife much like mine for $65 but my '20s vintage Case would fetch at least $250 to a collector ... probably to a non-collector that could buy a Chinese copy, 20 bucks. There are exceptions ... ie Puma knives that are made in Germany ... some are quite valuable. A point worth mentioning .... just because a knife is old, it doesn't mean it has high collector value.

Here's a place to start .... this web site tells you where to look for identifying marks ... etc. All About Pocket Knives and also has a forum where you may get specific information on your particular knives. There's lots more stuff on the Internet if you Google pocket knives. If you know the brand, a search by brand and type .... ie "Case pocketknives" will usually yield good results.

Many thanks...my family were Nebraska dry land farmers for a very long time...near Albion...nothing they did was "fancy"...everything had to have at least 2 uses to be considered useful. I collect and restore antique gasoline engines from the turn of the century..I had a couple of engines we dug out of the ground from the old days there..I'm sure they were my Grandad's...they had welds, patches, home made parts, etc...nothing got wasted or thrown away because they couldn't get more. I'm sure these knives are much the same..the one "cutting" knife is a black bone handle...has the 3 blades (one is a "cutting blade"....I wonder how many steers left their "working clothes" with that old knife....I'll do a little checking to see if there is someplace these might go....thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts