Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Olympia, WA. I'm actually a rifle guy but I remember my very first revolver years ago...think it was called a Police Service Six. It was a nice .357. My only revolver at present is a 642 which is my pocket weapon. Anyway, I am thinking about purchasing a .357 mag GP100 three inch barrel...use it as my carry weapon and retire my 45 auto. So....think I'll pick the brains of the Ruger Veterans on here...love all the info and experience.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Welcome aboard. Glad you're here. Make yourself at home and enjoy the Board. No trouble finding help here in getting a Ruger. Everyone has their favorite. :D

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Welcome from Texas and feel free to look around, we got a little bit of everything. Be sure to jump in anytime. I have nothing but respect for the .357 mag. But there ain't no flys on the ole' .45 either. If you like the 3" gp, there is a couple of good articles about it in the gunsmith section.
http://www.rugerforum.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1898

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Welcome aboard, glad to meet you, hope you enjoy the forum, jump right in anytime.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
welcome glad to have ya with us

·
Registered
362 Posts
Welcome. I wouldn't retire your .45, they are too comfortable to carry. But I would definitely buy that GP100. They are great all around guns. If you hunt, check out the four inch barrel. In WA you have to have a four inch barrel. I think they conceal just as easily.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well...I really do not mean retire my .45 ACP...I meant switch to a revolver as main carry. I do enjoy my Auto...I am no longer in the Army, I'm not a LEO...so I believe a revolver would be my best bet for defense. Perhaps I'd feel a bit more confident with the auto if I shot it during competiton or take a defensive shooting course with it. Too many instructors, on other forums, have advised me to replace my Tarus Millennium Pro PT145. The GP100 wtith the 3 inch barrel and smaller grip...with about $300 worth of gunsmithing/moon clips...seems to me to be the most dependable .357 mag made today. I say that after firing Colt Pythons and, personally, I own a S&W. I want a real revolver that will be on a steady diet of .357 mag.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts