Ruger Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
What is that? At first glance it looked like primer parts. I enlarged the picture and cannot figure what that is. Good advise/reminder about case inspection.
That's called "Swarf" and is just the metal that came off as the case was being turned somewhere in the manufacturing process. It's the residue of a lathe or other metal-turning machine to bring something into tolerance or shape.
View attachment 147013 View attachment 147019 View attachment 147013 View attachment 147019
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
111 Posts
When picking up my brass I sometime find odd or unusual brass. To clean it up I dumped them in the tumbler with the empty brass form the days range session. Sorted them using the stepped basin system and found that some cases would were lodged inside larger cases. Nothing new to most of you, but take a look at the 25 auto case that the decapping pin found the hard way. Had the primer been live and the cases turned the other way????

Kind of like a marishka doll.

Largest to smallest: 500 S&W, 45 Colt, 40 S&W, 9MM, 7.65 MM, 25 AUTO
I have never found more than four different cases nested together. I have found it easier to sort them before cleaning and be aware of nested rounds to avoid breaking a decapping pin and locking the cases together.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts