Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.

I looked around on the forum and also online and can not find any information on removing and installing sights on my Alaskan 454.

I have a Meprolight TRU-DOT Sure Shot set I would like to install.

The directions for the front sight says it is a spring and plunger and to use a drift punch to push it in and while holding it in push the sight to the rear and lift it up. I looked at it closely and it appears to be a roll pin and not a plunger. I am a little confused on how I would use a drift punch in my hand to press a roll pin.

The rear sight directions say to remove the elevation screw then remove the pivot pin and two springs. The pivot pin looks to be solid and is not a roll pin.

There is a warring note below both of these that says do not use a drift punch. ???

At this point I am a little concerned on what exactly I am supposed to do to install the new sights.

Do I need a special press or tool or just a small drift punch? If just a drift punch does anyone know what size I need? I would like to order what I need online and get this sight system installed. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance to anyone who reads this and helps me figure this out.

R4Life

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Your front sight will not work on your Alaskan. By your description of the installation instructions you have a front sight that is a removable insert for use on the Ruger DA revolvers that use that sight (most adjustable sight GP100s, many Super Redhawks but not the Alaskan, the newer Redhawks, etc.)

The rear sight pin is 1/16" and a punch will drive out the pin. It is a solid pin and not a true roll pin but it will drive out with a proper punch and mallet. Careful not to bubba up the side of the top strap though.

Given that you have a set intended for a different style front sight you may want to hold off on installing the rear. XS makes a tritium front for the 454 Alaskan that will install like the OEM front blade. They also sell it with a replacement rear blade that's a V notch with vertical line - combat sight picture.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
You'll have to drill through the base of the new sight before the 1/16" roll pin can be re-inserted...make sure you use a 1/16" drill bit and drill a true 90-degrees (I tend to drill in from both sides to keep things 'smooth' and even) and tap the roll pin back in carefully so as not to mush the edges. Make sure you drill slowly so as not to create too much heat as you can break your drill bit off inside the hole...that's a headache to get out (but it is doable.)

I like to use a drop of Blue Loktite to give it a bit of a solid base prior to re-inserting the roll pin back into the gun. Clean the slot in the barrel and the base of the new sight with some rubbing alcohol and let it dry before putting the loktite in...use a clamp to hold the sight in place and tap the roll pin back in.

Take your time and you'll do fine...once you've done one, all Ruger fixed-sight revolvers are easy to do!

I did this on my 4" fixed-sight GP100 (see Avatar) and you can see just how nice it looks when finished!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys.

I honestly did search the site for info and did not get back any of the linked info. looks like my search skills need work.

"Your front sight will not work on your Alaskan. By your description of the installation instructions you have a front sight that is a removable insert for use on the Ruger DA revolvers that use that sight (most adjustable sight GP100s, many Super Redhawks but not the Alaskan, the newer Redhawks, etc.)" -Waveform

Now that I have watched the video wiiawiwb linked I see what you mean about the front sight not being the correct one for my Alaskan. I went to the XS site and they have 2 different front sights but the rear sight is not Tritium. Then I went to Meprolights website and they do not offer the correct front sight. So now I am wondering if the rear sight from Meprolight and one of the two front sights from XS will work together. XS has a "standard" front sight and a "big dot" so now that adds one more variable to the equation as to what is going to work best for me. /scratches head

If I can get the rear Meprolight and front XS sights to work together looks like I will have a front Tritium sight for sale, heh.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me get on the right path with this Tritium sight debacle I find myself in at the moment.

R4Life

1 - 6 of 6 Posts