Ruger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I couldn't really see the factory sights at the indoor range, so I decided to put on some brighter sights and found these Kensight sights (Kensight Ruger Mark II , III - 1911 Sight, Black 860-995). Installing the front sight was very easy, of course, one hex screw and they come off.

The rear sight was a different matter - I tried using my sight tool to remove the old ones and it was no use. The only way the upper receiver would fit in the sight pusher tool, is separated from the lower. And with the upper receiver installed in the sight tool, as soon as I turned the pusher tool into them the upper would rotate over inside the tool away from the pusher part. Then I tried to hammer out the old sight by placing the gun on a roll of duct tape but that didn't work either, the gun has to be held firmly in a vise. I don't think cloth is really good enough though, I should have used some thin wood or at least cardboard - I left some unwanted traces from its time in the vise. I know that makes me look like an idiot, but if this tip will save somebody else's gun from cosmetic damage then I don't mind (much).

I wanted to avoid mangling the gun of course, so I reassembled the gun, put a sock over the handgrip and padded the vise with a folded t-shirt. After carefully placing the gun in the vise and snugging the vise closed, a few (or 30) taps with a hammer and brass punch and the old sight came out. They tell you to use the brass punch to hammer in the new sight too, but I wanted to try anything else first rather then scar the sight. So I was able to pound the new sight back in the slot with my combo plastic/rubber hammer and a little oil. There's no hole for the set screw used in the factory sight - I don't know if it will eventually work itself loose or not at this point. But for now I'm just happy I got the new sights on, without giving the gun any new scars!

I thought of putting an optic on the pistol since it's accurate enough - but I did not want to spoil the lines... maybe later I won't mind it so much, since it's the most accurate pistol I own by far. The only other pistol I own that even comes near to the same accuracy is my cheap old Bersa Thunder .380 - which also is one of the few autopistols in the world that has a fixed barrel; I think the fixed barrel improves accuracy.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,417 Posts
Looks like a black cat in a coal bin! :) :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts