Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a NIB red label first year production on gunbroker on ,, it has fixed sheet barrels .. My question is has anyone ever had tubes installed in a fix barrel sheet choke Ruger? , I'm afraid they could be too thin . I got the overall diameter needed for the installed but haven't been able to get the seller to measure it ... Thanks for your time and trouble

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Boy, a new in the box first production year Red Label - it might be better to leave it "stock". I'm not a collector, but I'd bet that putting in choke tubes would seriously reduce its value.

Jim

·
Registered
181 Posts
We need more ingo on the Red Label, Gauge? barrel length ? Wall thickness/ I'm thinking it should be left as is.
Both of my
Red labels are about 20 years old. Shot a lot of skeet and their still in excellent condition

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

Well couldnt get the seller to measurer the inside or outside diameter ,,Or ansawer emails for that matter..........So picked up a differant RRL On Cabelas library,, factory chokes ,box, and about 300 less So its all Good !
thanks for your replies:)

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I had mine done years ago, and you are correct, the remaining barrel material was paper thin. Mine was bored out by an expert gunsmith. I doubt if many are left who could do the work, seems like most "gunsmiths" these days don't do much but change out parts on M16s.

If it was my Red Label today, I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm pretty late coming in here and the OP hs already gone a different route. However, I have been down this road several times. I shoot the shotgun sports and indeed have a Red Label to do it with. If you are considering mods of this fashion to your shotgun I highly recommend Briley. They have done almost all of my shotgun mods including installing interchangeable chokes in fixed barrel guns. They know what they are doing as they do these kinds of things everyday.

Briley MFG - Choke Installation FAQ

·
Registered
549 Posts
Dan AKAL is correct, if you have questions call Briley. Several year ago I had a Charles Daley choked Full and Improved Modified. That might have been fine for ducks, geese or trap but I needed a skeet, 5 stand, sporting clays gun. The gunsmith I spoke to had me mike the ID, OD and wall thickness. Because the barrels were thin, he told me they would only be ale to install thin wall chokes. The only downside was that I wouldn't be able to shoot steel shot through them, which was not a problem because I have an 870 Remington and a Fox BSE if I had a desire to hunt ducks. Keep yer powder dry.........robin :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts