Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm shopping for carry/defense insurance. I noticed the most pushed is USCCA. All the online training gurus recommend it. My CPL instructor did. My personal handgun trainer did. All the gun shops and ranges do too. Being older (55) I also know that when one company is pushed the most it usually means they have excellent marketing and commission programs and not necessarily that they are the best option.
I think USSCA is likely the largest in members judging by what I've read so odds are many of you here may have it.
With that preface, what are your thoughts on this:

I'm more than a little concerned about the term statement they discuss in that video and thread.
I have a friend of 30+ years who happens to be a criminal defense attorney. She's told me numerous times taking a plea for a lesser charge is often done. When your facing possible prison, even when you're innocent, taking a misdemeanor plea with no jail time is commonly done. A lot of course would depend on where you're charged. The anti-gun climate's effect on a jury pool and how fair or unfair the prosecutor is.
I'm in the purple state of Michigan with a Dem. governor, Dem. attorney general, but a republican legislature. We have castle doctrine for home/car/business. Even in home we all know how things go south when the anti-gun crowd chimes in. And I have a AR15 too so OOOO....Scary!

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.
Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That is interesting considering the current COVID situation. I want to see what people thinks about this.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I went through the headache of trying to compare plans. I decided on CCW Safe. I can't quote all the pros and cons right now but it does have unlimited defense cost coverage and some civil liability coverage. The obvious downside is you need to have a valid CCW permit and not carry illegally. If you're a vet you can get the defender plan for active duty or retired. Technically it's not insurance so they don't have to adhere to insurance guidelines and restrictions.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,521 Posts
Self-defense is covered. Criminal acts are not.

What’s the concern?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm shopping for carry/defense insurance. I noticed the most pushed is USCCA. All the online training gurus recommend it. My CPL instructor did. My personal handgun trainer did. All the gun shops and ranges do too. Being older (55) I also know that when one company is pushed the most it usually means they have excellent marketing and commission programs and not necessarily that they are the best option.
I think USSCA is likely the largest in members judging by what I've read so odds are many of you here may have it.
With that preface, what are your thoughts on this:

I'm more than a little concerned about the term statement they discuss in that video and thread.
I have a friend of 30+ years who happens to be a criminal defense attorney. She's told me numerous times taking a plea for a lesser charge is often done. When your facing possible prison, even when you're innocent, taking a misdemeanor plea with no jail time is commonly done. A lot of course would depend on where you're charged. The anti-gun climate's effect on a jury pool and how fair or unfair the prosecutor is.
I'm in the purple state of Michigan with a Dem. governor, Dem. attorney general, but a republican legislature. We have castle doctrine for home only. Even in home we all know how things go south when the anti-gun crowd chimes in. And I have a AR15 too so OOOO....Scary!

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.
Thanks.
At the beginning of 2021 I began to seriously look into CCW "insurance" as a bachelor planning on possible camping and travel scenarios cross country. Learning reciprocity laws was part of the road map planning when "INSURANCE" was unavoidable during online travel searches, preying on my attention and money.
Long story short, CCW Safe was my choice starting in February. Painless monthly billing perfect for me vs a lump sum yearly fee but the choice is yours though. CCW Safe simply provides me the most balanced 360 degree coverage as a CCW permit holder. CCW Safe's plans are, in my opinion, the only actual defensive plan choice IF you have had to defend your life or other's and prosecution against commences. The states that do not allow CCW Safe as a business are clearly posted (NJ, NY & WA) in the FAQ section.
As a 53yr old, permanent disability retired longshoreman born/raised in NJ, I can attest it is an über nanny state that doesn't want armed citizens to begin with let alone CCW. You learn to appreciate the state of PA at a young age if you've any interest in firearms. Otherwise, get in line and become a LEO if you want CCW permission as a resident. I can happily state I'm in a more southern location appreciating the 2nd amendment to the fullest and with that comes all the extreme responsibilities of not being a yahoo. CCW Safe is for said adults. Hope that helps with your choice!
(RAP.PD.9) 😎

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I am leaning toward CCW Safe myself so its interesting to see so far others felt they were the best choice for them.
alayonruger: the concern is its not as simple as you put it. WHO decides what is criminal and what is not is the problem. And depending on where you live you can face unfair charges for defending yourself or family. This is easily found on Google if you don't want to take my word for it. As I stated in my post: When your facing possible prison, even when you're innocent, taking a misdemeanor plea with no jail time is commonly done. If where you live self-defense vs. criminal is cut and dry, great! Where I live it is not.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I am leaning toward CCW Safe myself so its interesting to see so far others felt they were the best choice for them.
alayonruger: the concern is its not as simple as you put it. WHO decides what is criminal and what is not is the problem. And depending on where you live you can face unfair charges for defending yourself or family. This is easily found on Google if you don't want to take my word for it. As I stated in my post: When your facing possible prison, even when you're innocent, taking a misdemeanor plea with no jail time is commonly done. If where you live self-defense vs. criminal cut and dry, great! Where I live it is not.
From a previous defendant, pick one that covers self defense that includes any kind of legal weapon... to include hands and feet. I've read the very fine detailed planning of others about what they will or will not do as if they are wargaming multiple scenarios... that occur in an instant in reality... that will protect them from being charged or civil lawsuits. It's all hypothetical la la land wishful thinking and I'm still guilty of dreaming about how I would like a situation to be resolved. I think the plea I was offered was 8-20 years which was the maximum of the sentencing guidelines. lol I think prosecutors, like serial killers, get off on their power of making people suffer. At one point, in one meeting, I realized that none of the actual events in the case mattered and this fight was just between me and the prosecutor and his irrational hate. But I won. lol

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Just make sure the policy is one that provides you funds to choose the counsel you wish. As opposed to some plans that provide you with a lawyer from their list.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The video the OP linked to ought to be watched and heeded.
Before you buy any of the insurance options out there understand that all look appealing because all you are reading or seeing and hearing is the marketing/advertising pitch. That material is not the contract you will be subject too. The contract is an insurance policy. Did you ever read an insurance policy? Unlike the marketing hype the policies contain the real agreement. Please read on.

I wanted such coverage and I checked out about four carriers, including USCCA, NRA, and others. I read their policies. There were too many ways they could deny coverage or seek reimbursement for me to even consider them. Then I was told about CCW Safe by a fellow shooter at the range. I checked it out. I bought it. They have their contract on their website. None of the others I checked did. I had to request copies of them and they were resistant to send it. CCW Safe was less expensive and had more meaningful benefits like 24/7telephone access to a self defense lawyer in case you get arrested. They have attorneys across the country. They defend civil and criminal actions with no loopholes. They have different plans and the benefits and restriction for each plan are in the terms of service.
You can read the CCWSafe terms of service for the plan I have at:

Please exercise extreme diligence to be properly protected.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I use Firearms legal protection.
One of the higher ups (VP of Legal Operations) is a criminal defense attorney from SE MI.
Another attorney from this area (knowledgeable in gun cases) said he accepts several if these as payment, I asked which was best and he said this one offered the best coverage (this was about 8 years ago).

With that in mind, when I signed up prices were about half what they are now, at that time apples to apples it was the best option I found. Today's rates might change that though. If you do sign up you will get locked in at that rate for life, so further price increase won't effect you.

Make sure you compare all the benefits of each company you are looking at.

A couple examples are site clean up, if you have to shoot someone in your living room, the cost for "decontamination" can be extremely high. They cover lost wages going to court, red flag law coverage, etc.

I know we don't have red flag laws here yet, but I'm sure it will happen eventually.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network here. But know what you're buying. It's not insurance and there are limitations such as it will cover the defense (lawyers) in a civil case but not a settlement if it goes against you. No frills protection at a no frills price.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'm in the insurance industry and I believe there's an insurance broker in Kansas City, MO called Lockton Affinity that also covers CCW risks. You might want to look them up. They are a solid company and should be able to find coverage for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts