·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks!

I have the following, both in 9 mm:

PC Carbine 19122 17rd
PC Charger 29100 17rd

I was curious when I had received these, if the barrels would be interchangeable, they detach and connect with one another flawlessly, and I even watched a great video on YouTube from TheFireArmsGuy

The TheFireArmsGuy swapped them out and fired with no issue. I'm just wondering if Ruger monitors these forums and can chime in with any feedback, instruction or concerns.

These guns appear to be identical except for the shipped barrel length. Both have picatinny mounts for the stock and when broken down the main body of the gun is the same length and appears to be the same workings.

The obvious bonus for me would be, if I can safely use both barrels with the same gun I would park the main chassis of one of the guns in the back of the gun safe and not use it until the other one has given up the ghost.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with this?

Thank you in advance for any and all feedback!

-Matt

·
Super Moderator
3,370 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I would NOT do it. You are asking for trouble with the ATF. Long story short, putting the charger barrel on the PCC creates a SBR, which requires a $200 tax stamp by the ATF. Depending on your state, swapping out might get you in trouble regarding local laws and definitions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Seems like Ruger should have designed a different connection system for the charger.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The pcc9 is just like the 10/22.

You can legally put the carbine barrel on the pistol receiver. But you better have a form1 in hand if you attach the pistol barrel to the carbine receiver.

If you are posting in a public forum saying you already installed the pistol barrel to the rifle receiver i would delete this post as fast as possible.

Nothing like federal charges and loosing your second amendment rights for an SBR without the stamp

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Howdy Folks!

I have the following, both in 9 mm:

PC Carbine 19122 17rd
PC Charger 29100 17rd

I was curious when I had received these, if the barrels would be interchangeable, they detach and connect with one another flawlessly, and I even watched a great video on YouTube from TheFireArmsGuy

The TheFireArmsGuy swapped them out and fired with no issue. I'm just wondering if Ruger monitors these forums and can chime in with any feedback, instruction or concerns.

These guns appear to be identical except for the shipped barrel length. Both have picatinny mounts for the stock and when broken down the main body of the gun is the same length and appears to be the same workings.

The obvious bonus for me would be, if I can safely use both barrels with the same gun I would park the main chassis of one of the guns in the back of the gun safe and not use it until the other one has given up the ghost.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with this?

Thank you in advance for any and all feedback!

-Matt
Love this forum!

That was my first question when I just found out the Charger existed, today.

And, I now have another “needed” gun model!

Although officially it sounds like they should NOT be swapped, it’s nice to know you can if desired.

I wonder if “legally” either combo is better than the other?

Charger stock/chassis with:
Charger barrel
Carbine barrel

or

PC Carbine stock/chassis with:
Charger barrel
Carbine barrel

Thoughts?

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Jross239 has the answer. You can legally, as the firearms ship from the factory, install both barrels on the Charger receiver (pistol) but NOT the short barrel on the carbine receiver without a tax stamp.

AshokaMazda, either combo, if/when made legal, has their benefit. If the rifle receiver is classified as a SBR, then there are benefits to a small carbine. However, you have limitations with crossing state lines. The pistol/Charger model has benefits because many states have reciprocity and allow for pistols to be loaded with you. So... I would say a SBR could be fun, but the Charger with the brace has the most flexibility currently.

Anyways, a few thoughts from my brain...

·
Registered
80 Posts
The paperwork for what the firearm is, is attached to the frame and serial number.
If you put the rifle barrel on the pistol, and then put the rifle butt stock on the pistol, physically, it's been converted to the rifle and is (?) mechanically identical.
But, on paper, it's a pistol that now has a butt stock attached to it.
Sounds like a fun and expensive day in court.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
The paperwork for what the firearm is, is attached to the frame and serial number.
If you put the rifle barrel on the pistol, and then put the rifle butt stock on the pistol, physically, it's been converted to the rifle and is (?) mechanically identical.
But, on paper, it's a pistol that now has a butt stock attached to it.
Sounds like a fun and expensive day in court.
Only if you put a stock AND the rifle barrel on the pistol receiver doi things get weird. Otherwise, it's just a pistol with a long barrel...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts