Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the following from Jim Vicevich's blog:

Yes, you can open carry a pistol in Connecticut | Radio Vice Online.

It concerns the proposition that, despite the complexity of CT's carry laws, you can actually open carry in the State. I'll wait for others to be the 'test case' that actually proves Steve's hypothesis but it's certainly food for thought.

"Yes, you can open carry a pistol in Connecticut

September 3, 2010 at 2:53 pm by Steve M 13 Comments | Share via e-mail

And you can responsibly carry a pistol in a bar that serves alcohol, and you can even carry your firearm on college campuses. I thought most of the misconceptions concerning Connecticut state law when it comes to permits and carrying handguns had been squashed, yet some continue to put totally false garbage out there.

I’m not going to speak to any specific case in Connecticut, but I am going to briefly review the completely false comments made here on this blog by “Army Strong” over at this post.

Ongoing Myth: Connecticut law requires handguns be concealed, and furthermore your gun can not be able to “print” and let people know you are carrying a firearm.

Totally false. Connecticut permits are defined as a State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers. There is absolutely no reference to any law concerning concealment or where you can carry on the permit itself. Note, you must have a state permit to carry openly or concealed in Connecticut.

How can I prove this? Well, it’s difficult to prove a negative since laws do not point out what you can do, but there is no statute requiring concealment. That said, the Connecticut Board of Firearms Examiners has posted answers to questions submitted on its website. The answers were provided by Veronica Rose, principal analyst at the Office of Legislative Research. This following is not submitted as legal advice.

Is there any statute prescribing that firearms must be carried concealed?

The answer is no. The law does not address this issue. But, with limited exceptions, it is illegal to carry a handgun, whether concealed or openly, without a permit, except in one’s home or place of business CGS § 29-35(a).

Prior to a 2nd Amendment rally at the Connecticut State Capitol on April 10, 2010, the state police sent out a memo specifically clarifying the law for troopers who would be present at the rally assisting Capitol Police. Unfortunately, it is not signed or dated, and the second page may be missing. In part, it reads.

* State Police personnel should not arrest a properly permitted individual merely for publicly carrying a handgun in plain view.
* State Police personnel should not arrest individuals merely for publicly carrying a firearm other than a handgun in plain view
* State Police personnel should not request individuals to produce their pistol permits unless such individual has become the subject of a law enforcement investigative inquiry for another reason

Even the Hartford Courant posted an article in April 2010 noting it was completely legal to open carry in Connecticut.

A state Superior Court judge dismissed the breach of peace charge police ultimately filed against Goldberg, forcing law enforcement experts to concede that, absent extenuating circumstances, there is nothing in Connecticut law to prohibit licensed gun owners from conducting their lives visibly armed.

Ongoing Myth: You can not carry a handgun in an establishment that serves alcohol.

Totally false. Again, from the same list of questions and answers provided by the Office of Legislative Research.

Is the carrying of a handgun on premises with a posted sign banning firearms critical to a permit revocation decision?

The law is silent on this issue. The pertinent statute reads as follows: “[T]he issuance of a permit to carry a pistol or revolver does not thereby authorize the possession or carrying of a pistol or revolver in any premises where the possession or carrying of a pistol or revolver is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the person who owns or exercises control over such premises” (CGS § 29-28(e)).

In other words, the direct answer to the question is no, there is no law stating you can not carry in a bar. That said, Connecticut State law is clear that you can not be intoxicated – defined as a blood alcohol level of .10 or higher – while carrying a firearm. This is specified in CGS §53-206d and if convicted, it’s a class A misdemeanor.

Ongoing Myth: You are very limited as to where you can carry a firearm.

All in all, we don’t have it too bad in Connecticut. There are specific areas where you can not carry, and they are spelled out in legislation. It should be noted there are some towns – including New Britain and New London – who have town ordinances that ban you from carrying concealed, yet interestingly they do not ban open carry, which again is legal in Connecticut.

You can not carry in or on the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or at a school sponsored activity. (CGS §53a-217b) Note that public and private colleges and universities are not mentioned.

Although I can not site the statutes, (sorry) I believe it is also against the law to carry within the State Capital or where the General Assembly is meeting or at a legislative public hearing. I’m not sure about state forests either. There may be other town or city ordinances concerning carrying in parks.

Federal law states you can not carry in federal facility including post offices, but you can now definitely carry in federal parks, just not the federal facility buildings I would assume.

Of course, if you visit any private residence or business, they do have the right to ban firearms and they can ask you to leave. Carrying in a private residence or business is certainly not illegal, but if you are asked to leave and do not leave, you are subject to a trespass arrest.

Ongoing Myth: You will be charged with breach of peace if you carry openly in Connecticut.

It’s certainly true law enforcement can charge you with breach of peace, but that certainly does not mean you are guilty of it. As a matter of fact, the breach law in Connecticut is very clear and I went into detail about the subject in a Feb. 2008 post. An excerpt…

Here is the class B misdemeanor version (Connecticut statutes):

Sec. 53a-181. Breach of the peace in the second degree: Class B misdemeanor. (a) A person is guilty of breach of the peace in the second degree when, with intent to cause inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, such person: (1) Engages in fighting or in violent, tumultuous or threatening behavior in a public place; or (2) assaults or strikes another; or (3) threatens to commit any crime against another person or such other person’s property; or (4) publicly exhibits, distributes, posts up or advertises any offensive, indecent or abusive matter concerning any person; or (5) in a public place, uses abusive or obscene language or makes an obscene gesture; or (6) creates a public and hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act which such person is not licensed or privileged to do. For purposes of this section, “public place” means any area that is used or held out for use by the public whether owned or operated by public or private interests.

With reference to the above, can someone let me know where inadvertently exposing your pistol [or open carry] would cause a breach of peace?

All breach charges in Connecticut that I know of were thrown out of court. You can also read the statutes for creating a public disturbance CGS §53a-181a, and disorderly conduct CGS §53a-182 and you will not find any reference to open carry. Again, I’m not a lawyer and I’m not going to go into specific cases.

You can find additional information about this subject around the net, including the Connecticut Citizen Defense League website and the Connecticut section of the OpenCarry.org forums. Add your references in the comments section below.

This post deals almost exclusively content concerning carrying pistols. If you found it interesting and want to learn more, check out my post concerning the feel good Connecticut assault weapons ban that is totally irrational.
Related posts

* Connecticut should not make pistol permit information available to public (20)
* Former Connecticut Democrat Chairman to Obama and Pelosi: Ummm, stay home, please! Update: Where are they welcome? (19)
* No call for knife regulation in US after 5 dead and 13 wounded in stabbing spree (6)
* Howard Fineman: Hey, you folks in Connecticut are too smart to elect McMahon, well except Waterbury (20)
* Chris Christie Redux (11)

Filed Under: News, Media and Other Events, Top News Tagged With: concealed carry, Connecticut, firearms, open carry

About Steve M
Steve's a part-time conservative blogger. Steve grew up in Connecticut, and has spent time living in Washington D.C. and the Bahamas. He resides in Connecticut where he’s very comfortable six months of the year. His full time gig is as operations manager for an intranet Web site for a Fortune 50 insurance company."

·
Registered
335 Posts
Steve,
Linda is,as you know,running against Richard who pretty well is rated as an F- by the NRA.
Is she better on gun control issues?? Hadn't seen any mention of it in her numerous,daily mailings.

Top Dog

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.