Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone declare reasons, pro or con, for the practice of interleaving different types of rounds in the five, six or seven round revolver cylinder? I remember one person who told me he fired .38 specials from his carry gun…he always arranged a .357 mag round to be his last round to signal “reload”. Now me, I am presently considering whether or not it is advisable to carry a staggered Corbon DPX/FBI load in my 642 as a defensive load. Reasoning: I want the expansion of the all copper DPX bullet, however, I am not totally confident that the short barreled snub can project the speed needed for that expansion. The FBI load (I’d use Buffalo Bore’s version) added just might make for a good combo load. Comments?

Now...how 'bout in bottom feeders? Comments on HP/FMJ interleaving in a magazine: Pro/Con.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I routinely carry a shot load in my GP100 (or Blackhawk), then 158 grain SWC, then 125 JHPs if woodsbumming. If carrying for CCW, I always use HPs, no matter the gun.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I lead in my revolver with two Glasers, follow with the FBI or Chicago load or Gold Dot short barrel....I don't know what they're going to be wearing or what cover they may find...the Glasers are my answer to flesh-the lead or jhp add a bit penetration...there's no sure plan so you make the one that soothes your mind and hope for the best...my reloads are all FBI...these in my .357 and .38...don't buy .357 ammo, personally...I want all my revolvers to use the same ammo...firing under pressure, most folks wouldn't know the difference between recoils...or how many shots they'd fired...fact....check out the BoxOTruth reports on DPX loads...look reliable to me...or google it and read reports...I mean to order some in .38 and .45 soon...not familiar with BB's version of FBI load...how is it different?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Good idea...I haven't found them that dirty....haen't seen BB ammo 'round here...thanks for the info...

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
be it revolver or bottom feeder, my handguns are currently loaded with hp's. the last speedloader/magazine for each is loaded with sp/fmj for greater penetration. Same goes for the m-16. I am looking for more penetration with the reloads as the threat is most certainly behind cover.

The only weapon that is loaded with different rds is the shotgun.--the 870 is loaded as 3 rds "OO" and the last rd is slug. All reloads are slug for the same reasons--more penetration in an extended firefight.

·
Banned
282 Posts
There is no way to know what your first, or subsequent shots will be aimed at. We all have scenarios running through our thoughts about various situations we may encounter, but there is no way to know for sure. Carry expensive, new, factory self defense loads.

You can carry specialized loads in a pocket or pouch if you want, in case you encounter a Hooded Cobra, or Sidewinder ready to strike you at the McDonald's drive-through. More likely you will encounter a two legged critter who wants to relieve you of your wallet, car, or both. Will he be wearing heavy leather? Will he be on the other side of a pane of glass, or other barriers? Make sure your shots will count, no matter what.[8D]

·
Banned
723 Posts
I never really sat down and thought about it, but now that I have I can seen advantages and disadvantage to interleaving rounds.

I often hear of people keeping snakeshot for the first round or two when out in the "boonies". I have found rocks and shovels to work better for snakes, so I don't waste ammo on a snake.

Personally I can't really see any advantage to this in a handgun. In a long gun it has some merit. My shotgun is loaded with 5 rounds of #4's and the reloads are slugs alternating with 00.

For me I'll stick with the same rounds in a magazine or cylinder of a handgun. Besides, the handgun is something I use to get to my longarm. I do not want to deal with the differing POA/POI issues that interleaving rounds cause.

OK, that is my $0.02 on the matter.

Biker

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use the same load regardless. IF I was carrying a revolver then I might have a different load in a speedloader (probably an HKS as I prefer Safariland) but I'd likely use the ammo that was in the gun unless I saw the threat coming and felt I had time to make the switch. The switch I have in mind would be to a heavy penetrator reload for the 357, probably from Corbon or Buffalo Bore.

Steelheart

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.