Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an interesting #1 30-06 RSI at a gun show several years ago. It is an RSI stainless with walnut stocks. According to Ruger made in 1997. According to Ruger they didn't make stainless #1's in 97. Has anyone ever heard of such a critter? Anyone care to advise as to worth. It is in excellent (95-98%) condition.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Call Ruger's records dept with serial # in hand and they'll tell you when and how it was configured when it left the factory. Their number is 603-865-2442. Ask for records dept.

·
Registered
378 Posts
According to Ruger made in 1997. According to Ruger they didn't make stainless #1's in 97.
Sounds like Ruger offered you nothing short of an oxymoron for an answer. I'd give them another call back to see if they could clear things up at all or at least make an educated guess as to how the rifle you have, came to be as it is today. Certainly couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you are interested in selling, please PM me.. I collect RSI's and the custom ones are fun to find and collect along with the cataloged ones.

you have a PM also

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I contacted Ruger and they confirmed caliber and RSI model. It was made before Ruger made Stainless #1's. I sent them pictures and they confirmed what it is. They said an employee probably built it. I can send pics via email but as of right now don't have time to post them here. We are running way behind dealing with customers and the NICS system is overloaded. You can PM me if you are interested. What would a rifle like this be worth as it is not a cataloged model configuration?

·
Registered
66 Posts
More than likely you have an overrun from the RMEF (Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation) production. They built 60 for RMEF in 30/40 Krag in 1996. From my understanding, there was a small number released afterwards without the engraving.

I have never heard in what caliber these were sent out in, but 30/06 is and always has been one of the normally cataloged calibers, so it makes sense.

The RMEF guns, which were heavily engraved on the stainless receiver by both father and son (each did a side) by the last name of Adams. You do not see those guns up for sale very often, the last of which was for sale on Guninternational for right around 3K.

Condition/original box would come into play, but beings that it could very well be an overrun gun could push the value upwards of $1500 to $1800 to a collector. The higher end with box and prestine condition.

Beings that the stainless receiver wasn't in the production chain at that time, I would like to think that the serial # of your rifle should fall right in line with the other 60. The one I have is 133-33502.

Here is a googled picture of one of the 60 RMEF guns. Note the blued safety and black trigger.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What I'm saying is that Ruger built more than 60 receivers when they did the RMEF build. Only 60 were engraved and the extras where probably set aside just incase something happened during the engraving process as replacements.

So at some point in time after the 60 rifles had been completed, Ruger made up completed rifles with the left over receivers that had not been engraved. These were quietly just released to the public through normal distributions chains at the time

What caliber/barrel configuration is an unknown to me beyond this.

What I'm also saying is the serial numbers on your receiver could tell a lot about if your rifle was indeed one of the overrun that shipped in '97

Again, I realize the picture I posted is not what you have, I was just showing you that in 1996, Ruger did produce stainless receiver rifles and that there was indeed an overrun of those.

Boomstick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, it may be one of the over-runs. But Ruger didn't do SS #1's back then. At least not complete rifles. Again, this is according to Ruger.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You should go over to the Yahoo Ruger group... They are No. 1 junkies and there's more information to gleen from one post than you will get anywhere else.

What I've told you so far is documented proof that in 1996 they did 60 stainless receiver rifles for RMEF, with "about" 5 over run. They were a completed rifle, not an AO or anything else.

Regardless of what Ruger has told you over the phone, there are 60 rifles running around like this..

One more time if I may.. What are the serial numbers?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'll post the question over on the Yahoo Ruger group and see what they think. I was hoping that your serial number would fall more closely inline with mine.

I'll let you know their response

Thanks

Todd

1 - 16 of 16 Posts