Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,415 Posts
Wow! That's a beautiful RDA-34. There were only about 99 of these made (one for each county in Iowa) so hang on to it. Of all the 16 Security-Six commemoratives (Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota, Sunnyvale, New Jersey, Alabama, Tennessee, Sacramento, Ohio, CHP, Maryland, Virginia, RCMP, FBI, Alabama, and Pennsylvania, The Iowa cased Commemorative is the nicest one. The gold roll marks really look nice.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Iowegan:

Thanks for the information-as I didn't know how many of these Iowa commemorative RDA-34's were actually made! I knew that it had to be less than 200 for sure-but, 99 is much rarer! Thanks for your compliment also! It's definately a beautiful commemorative!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,415 Posts
jimbo1096, Pretty typical of most commeratives. The Iowa State Sheriff' and Deputy's Association sold the Commerative Security-Sixes to Association members as a fund raiser. 100 guns were ordered ... enough for one gun for each of the 99 counties and one extra. The Association was hoping the guns would sell fast so they could order another batch. It turned out many of the Rugers did not sell because the price was way higher than a normal blued Security-Six at a retail store. As I recall, the Association ended up eating more than a dozen and sold them to people that were not in the Association. It would be interesting to see if ptblank's commerative traces back to a member of the Association in 1982.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's not much of a story to tell. I don't know much about the history of the Iowa State Sheriffs and Deputies Department. I just was fortunate in finding this unfired, Iowa State Commemorative Security-Six and I purchased it. Other than for this, I'm just a fan of the Ruger Security/Service/Speed-Six revolvers. IMHO these are great guns-and, take a back seat to no other service type of revolver! To my eyes, they are beautiful guns too! This Iowa State Commemorative, is just like putting icing on the cake, for me!:eek::D

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
Now for the REAL question we all want to know...

How does it shoot!!! :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
I know this thread is cold, but it was what brought me to this forum. I also have a Security Six Iowa Sheriff's commemorative piece, with the box and badge, just like ptblank's photo. So I'll tell the story and see if anybody's out there.

My father was the Sheriff of Fayette County, and he retired in 1985. He had one of these, that he kept in the box on a shelf in his library. He passed away in 1995, and I re-discovered it when my mother sold the house and moved out. I was a hunter and shooter in my college days, but when I got a job and family I put away all my guns, and didn't shoot for probably 30 years. So the piece just sat in the box in my basement all that time. I'd got it out maybe once or twice, but never did anything with it.

On the other side of the gun (from what you see in the photo) just above the trigger opening, it has "33-1" engraved on the frame. That was the radio call sign for my father.

Now, I have no children around, and a little more hobby time, I decided to go back to the range and shoot again. So I got out dad's revolver and shot it. I don't have that much revolver experience, but after a half dozen outings I have to say I just love shooting it, and I must say I can shoot pretty well with it.

I also have picked up a LCR in .357 Magnum that I'm using for CCW.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I guess now my question is with all the history in this gun and how nice it is & the case. Does it remain unfired or going to be unfired? aka safe queen?

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
I love these types of guns. :cool:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
gqucool, I thought I said - I've taken it out a half dozen times, and I love shooting it.
Good for you Kelly Mac. Rugers were meant to be shot. This is a terrific keepsake for you, and it can be shot and well cared for and will not show significant wear. Enjoy your Security six, it's a nice one!:)

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Very nice commemorative. Excellent family heirloom and glad you are shooting it as that is an honor to your family history.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know this thread is cold, but it was what brought me to this forum. I also have a Security Six Iowa Sheriff's commemorative piece, with the box and badge, just like ptblank's photo. So I'll tell the story and see if anybody's out there.

My father was the Sheriff of Fayette County, and he retired in 1985. He had one of these, that he kept in the box on a shelf in his library. He passed away in 1995, and I re-discovered it when my mother sold the house and moved out. I was a hunter and shooter in my college days, but when I got a job and family I put away all my guns, and didn't shoot for probably 30 years. So the piece just sat in the box in my basement all that time. I'd got it out maybe once or twice, but never did anything with it.

On the other side of the gun (from what you see in the photo) just above the trigger opening, it has "33-1" engraved on the frame. That was the radio call sign for my father.

Now, I have no children around, and a little more hobby time, I decided to go back to the range and shoot again. So I got out dad's revolver and shot it. I don't have that much revolver experience, but after a half dozen outings I have to say I just love shooting it, and I must say I can shoot pretty well with it.

I also have picked up a LCR in .357 Magnum that I'm using for CCW.
Thanks for posting your story regarding your Father's Heirloom....the Security-Six Iowa Sheriff's commemorative piece......and his history of being the Sheriff of Fayette County. I'm glad to hear that this Security-Six had shot well for you!:)

I still have my Security-Six Iowa commemorative revolver and it is still unshot.

ptblank

·
Registered
154 Posts
I shot a bunch of cheap ammo through it the other day, and it got pretty dirty, and actually jammed on me a couple of times. But, a disassembly and a good cleaning has it running again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts