Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was interested in the Iowegan guides. I emailed him but got no response. Are they still available? I did a search and did not see anything recent. I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question. I am new to this forum. I like what I see so far.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
The Iowegan guides, or IBOK as they were called, are not available. If you search using the word IBOK you will probably find out why they were removed from the site - there have been many threads related to that. The good news is that Iowegan still keeps tabs on things here and will chime in with his insight and knowledge from time to time. The knowledge base is still here as well and many folks are helpful to answer questions or lend a hand.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Wave

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,411 Posts
notathome, First, welcome to the Ruger Forum. It looks like someone dug up an old post because I have recently received several PMs and there have been a couple posts in the past few days about IBOKs. Sorry, IBOKs and Ruger Gun Guides are no longer available.

When this forum first started, we had a hard time recruiting new members so I wrote several 15~20 page booklets on specific Ruger guns called "Iowegan's Book of Knowledge (IBOK for short). At first I was emailing the IBOKs to people upon request providing they joined the forum. This got to be a very time consuming chore so thanks to Keith Smith, the former forum owner, we started a Library on the forum where the IBOKs could be downloaded free by members with 10 or more posts. This worked well and recruited a lot of new members for a couple years, however I had to pull them off the forum in November of 2009 due to copyright issues. I then rewrote the IBOKs, added a bunch of information, photos, etc and consolidated like models (all DA models, all SA models, and Mk Series) and published "Ruger Gun Guides" that were about 50 pages each. These were copyrighted, printed in hardcopy, and sold on the forum (non profit) to again encourage forum membership.

Although it was a lot of work on my part, this went pretty well for about a year and gave this old fart something to do in his spare time. Printing costs went up, postage went up, and sales went down. I also got a couple hundred dollars worth of bad checks. Additionally, I got stuck with more than $1500 worth of Gun Guides so I made a command decision to cut my losses and quit selling them. I got rid of the existing stock at local gun shows. That was just over 2 years ago and I haven't had any more printed since then. I'd like to think the IBOKs and Gun Guides had a little something to do with forum growth ... but now that forum membership is growing by leaps and bounds, I don't think they would still serve the intended purpose.

BTW, the Forum Library is still going strong and is located at the top within the "NCO CLUB". Members need 10 or more posts to access it ... in fact if you have less than 10 posts, the Library is not even visible. I have posted more than a dozen articles plus several charts and references, as have other forum members. These are all a free download and because they are not copyrighted, they can be shared with others.

Reactions: mishtub

·
Registered
418 Posts
I should count myself very lucky to have been able to buy one copy of the last batch of the IBOKS. Its really a wealth of knowledge everyone who ordered one or had been able to avail of one owe " Iowegan " a debt of gratitude.

It is just disheartening to learn some of the unpalatable experiences that Iowegan endured after doing so much for the Ruger community.

You will be on my short list, Iowegan, when that time comes!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sorry you got bad checks Iowegan!
If anybody that did that is reading this then shame on you! You give a gun owners another black mark.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I got my DA guide the way Iowegan planned things to go. Good communication, I paid the amount he requested....a very fair price. I suppose I'm not surprised there are low lifes out there that would ripoff a guy trying to help us all. It's a shame though......

Thanks for what you did for me!!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,411 Posts
Thanks guys but I didn't want to turn this into a "woe is me" thread. The negative things that happened were mostly my fault ... I should not have accepted checks and I should have priced the books a buck higher to keep from losing money. Live and learn!

P.S. I closed this thread

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.