Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given an old single shot Western Auto bolt action .410. Someone at some point decided to open the choke a little with a hack saw. They did a terrible job, and didn't cut the barrel straight. Also they cut off the bead.

I have plenty of length left to straighten the cut, but once I do, what is the best way to find top center of the barrel to drill and tap for the new bead?

I was thinking level the gun in a padded vise then use a magnetic level on top of the barrel...is there an easier way? (That doesn't sound to bad, but it always nice to hear any tips:))

Also, what is the thread pitch for replacement beads, is it a standard or does it change depending on manufacture?

Thanks for any help...

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
Johngoboom, Go to the hardware store and buy a tubing cutter. It will work just fine to get a "squared" barrel cut. You will have to deburr the inside of the barrel with a RCBS deburring tool or a tapered reamer. Brownell's sell a variety of front beads for shotguns. Most of them are a #3 screw with a fine thread pitch of 56 tpi. Some are as large as #6x48. For under 10 bucks, you can get a kit with the drill bit, tap, and two beads. See http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=338&st=078-021-048&s=1591

Finding TDC ... I typically "eyeball" it and get close enough. Your procedure should work fine. Hope this was helpful.

·
Squirrel Sniper 1st class
254 Posts
i have done this.....

take a small piece of thin material, and drill a hole large to mark a hole on the barrel
something like 6'' by 2'' and say less than 16ga thick you'll center this length wise on the barrel, and however far from the muzzle....

then take a 90 square, and turn the gun upside down, take the square and make sure the butt of the gun is square (perpendicular to the surface you layed the gun on) by looking at the (usual) 2 screw holes in the end of the pad.....

then with enough of the barrel hanging over the edge of a bench/table/tailgate... mark the hole with something that wont easily wipe off, once marked, drill, tap, and clean....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts