Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you so much again for putting that hammer in my Blackhawk last week and checking her out. Went to the range today to try out the 357 mags and met with a problem. They won't seat all the way down in the cylinder!! Brought it home, found out all six 38s will seat, but none of the 357. Looked down the cylinder bores, and each had a dark ring at the bullet end. Spent an hour using Lewis lead remover, Hoppe's 9, bronze brush, Brownell's bore cleaner, and so far only two seat! Bores look cleaner, but still have rings. Next step/steps?? Just keep at it? Put it in a cup and soak it in Hoppe's? I suspect this is from having fired 38s, but good grief, is it always this much trouble? Thanks, John

·
Registered
131 Posts
John,
Keep brushing, they will come out. I usually take a brush with me when I go shooting and give it a good brushing after every 30 rounds or so to make it a little easier when I go back to the .357 mags
Brian

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm not necessarily advocating this, but would tapping a spent .357 case in there possibly scrape some of the crud out? You almost need a larger diameter brush inside the chambers - maybe a .40 cal brush? .357 barely touches the sides in that larger area.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,349 Posts
john parker, It was very nice to meet you and your wife and I hope to see you again. Good advise so far. That ironed on lead crud ring can be a real pill to clean up.

I use a 3M Scotch brite pad with some Hoppies. On really stubborn ones, I put the jag in a drill and go after them.

Next time you want to shoot some 38 Special loads without crud rings, come on up and we'll fire up the Dillon. We can load 38 Special target loads in 357 Mag cases. This is the best of both worlds. Low recoil, accurate, yet no crud ring.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But Iowegan, how do you get the scotch brite pad down that little hole? I may have used them down at work to help clean the floor, and if I did the ones I am thinking of are a little thick. Cut them in circles maybe? Narrow strips? And if it comes to the drill, what do you put on the end of the jag? I will buy some tomorrow (after I snow blow!) and see what I can do. Thanks, John

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it out!!! Ended up using a 40/41 cal bronze brush with Hoppes 9, and a half hour of scrubbing, but it all came out! Not ready to give up the 38s entirely yet, but will take a brush to the range, as suggested. Think I may have compounded the problem by going to the range, and then not cleaning out the pistol immediately afterwards. Thanks all, John

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,349 Posts
John, Next time you get to a gun shop, pick up a bottle of Hoppies Elite (I showed it to you). It will make short work of removing the crud ring. I cut strips of 3M green Scotchbrite pads and put them in a cleaning jag with a few squirts of Elite. They are abrasive enough to remove crud yet not so abrasive to remove metal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Gary, I will do that! Saw some at the Bullethole last when I took my son up to do some shooting. Next time I'm there I will get Elite. Want to try out that Blackhawk! Oh, the cans for used brass were there, but it looked like whoever wanted was picking up their used brass. And probably some others' brass as well! The range was full and brass was all over the floor. I saw no signs saying one couldn't. Think my son is a convert - he is looking at a P-95 after firing mine. Thanks, John

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Hoppes Elite is some great stuff. It does an unbelievable job on gun clean up. It is pricey but I use it when I want to treat a specific firearm extra special. The best cleaner bar none.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts