Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to put some iron sights on my new rifle but I don't think Ruger thought there dimensions through. I called and asked what was recommended and they said to mount an Mlok Picatinny rail and then get a set of AR 15 flip up sights. The problem is you can't sight these in because the handguard mounted rail isn't the same height as the receiver rail and barrel mounted rail. The longest sight radius possible where you can mount iron sights is under 10". Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations for iron sights on this rifle? 20200218_182718_1582146780819.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same problem with mine and haven’t spent the money to find a solution yet. I think I recall some people saying an Arisaka low profile mlok to Picatinny rail and then a low profile iron sight. And then could cut some of the sight off if Still needed to go lower with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem isn't that the sights themselves sit too high. It's that the front sight sits to high out of alignment. Then when you try to sight it in you can't get the front sight post to go low enough to properly zero the rifle. If they would have literally added just another 1/8 of an inch in height to the receiver and barrel mounted rail then you could use the sights perfectly. But no matter what sights you use they're not going to be perfectly aligned.

·
Registered
43 Posts
19122 iron sights

I used the Arisake low profile under the front sight. My height difference is on 0.035". About one turn of the front post. I'm using Diamond Head sights and they are 100% [ absolute ] co-witness with my red dot. My stock trigger measures about a 4.5 lb. Volquartsen has their 2.25 lb PCC trigger on e bay for $150.00. Due to arrive on Fri.
Slight blem. Normal price is $273.00.
Also added Tandenkross ext mag release.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rugerpc9_shooter after looking at that rail you mentioned that just might be the solution. Is there anything that you've seen that confirms that this rail will align perfectly with the receiver and barrel mounted rail?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks TANZER. I'll see about ordering a 3 slot rail from them to put under my front sight. I'm assuming they make a quality product? I've never heard of them before.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With that mentioned rail, did the screws have to be shaved down so they don't touch the barrel? The ones for standard rails from Magpul come pretty close to touching on the inside of the barrel fluting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
19122 iron sights

Nope. It's close.
I can pull the PCC out of the safe and send pic's if you'd like.

·
Emperor
883 Posts
I don't have the chassis model with the Ruger aluminum M-LOK hand guard. I do have a Midwest Industries aluminum M-LOK hand guard and ran into the same problem.

Before I forget to mention it, if anyone is considering using a Magpul MBUS polymer flip up rear sight on the Ruger PCC 9, don't. The height of the rail top above the receiver top provides insufficient clearance to allow the release lever on the Magpul sight to be pushed down enough to deploy the sight from its stowed position, or allow it to be stowed if up.

My impression based solely on looking at photos on the web is that the Ruger proprietary hand guard top sits a little lower relative to the receiver than the MI hand guard. At least I have not had any issues with clearance for M-LOK machine screws between the top inside surface of the hand guard and the barrel top as seems to be a problem with the Ruger hand guard. That should make the off set between the top of the Picatinny rail segment mounted at the front of the hand guard and the top of the Picatinny rail on the receiver somewhat less.

The Arisaka low profile Picatinny rail top sits .270" higher than the base which is significantly less than the same dimension on a standard Pic rail. In my case with the MI hand guard even with the Arisaka low profile rail, there was still enough offset between the front sight post of a flip-up AR type front sight and a flip-up AR type rear sight on the receiver rail that I had to trim 2 mm off the front sight post to allow a reasonable range of travel for the front sight post for zeroing but it did work. If the offset is less with your Ruger hand guard you probably won't have to resort to that.

Why did Ruger make the height of the receiver Pic rail so low and why did they recess it down into the top of the receiver? I suspect they did this to allow the shooter to see over the top of the receiver rail and achieve a good sight picture with the stock iron sights without having to mount front and rear iron sights that were too high.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Samson sells a rail that runs the length of the barrel. It bolts to the rear and front sight screws. You could put AR sights on it and co witness an optic. Might be a little front heavy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After doing some research I think I may have found a solution. I popped on the Magpul MBUS Pro LR Adjustable Sight onto my rifle and adjusted the rear sight as high as it would go. This allowed me to use the Magpul MBUS Pro Front sight with the sight post in its lowest setting but I had no room for adjustment. I did all this co witnessing my red dot sight. But the Magpul LR rear sight with its elevation adjustment in conjuction with the Agisaka low profile rail should just about allow a full range of adjustment without having to grind down the front sight post. I really appreciate all the help you guys provided. When I get it put together I'll send some pictures.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I can confirm after buying the Arisaka low profile rail it didn't get the sight low enough on its own. But when I use the Magpul MBUS Pro LR rear sight and adjusted the height as far up as it would go, I was able to co-witness my red dot with my iron sights. I didn't have to shave down the front sight post and had the full range of adjustment. I was able to get the Magpul sight from grabagun.com and got it for $88 by clicking their Grabaquote button. Attached are some pics of the sights and it co-witnessed. Thanks for the help you guys provided. 20200312_183858_1584057051459.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brand new to carbines - just bought my first Ruger PC9 (19122), and assumed the pic rail and MLOK would make it easier to add irons and optics... ya, not so much! Searched everywhere, this post is very helpful, thanks!

I'm not sure which irons/optics to buy to get a good cheek weld, without also needing a good cheek riser (but I'll get one if I need one)... I'd really like low irons and optics but I'm just glad to see someone's found a system to be able to co-witness...

SlickNick - I think I found what you're referencing...

------ IRON SIGHTS
the Arisaka Defense Low Profile 5 Slot 1913 Picatinny Rail - M-Lok LRP (M-LOK 5 Slot)

the Magpul MBUS PRO Steel Backup Sights

and the Magpul MBUS PRO LR Adjustable Rear Sight

These right? I will shop around other sites, but making sure these are the right models. These sights look high to me - any issues with cheek weld and these sights? Do you need a cheek riser?

------- OPTICS
Also, what size riser are you using?
3-Slot Slim Picatinny Short Riser Mount 1" High, 3 Slots

What optic are you running?

Thanks! And sorry, that was a lot!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the investigation and reporting on iron sights for the new carbine.

My local gun shops are on reduced hours due to the Wuhan Flu so it may be a while before I can get the parts. (y)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’ve always wondered if something like a standard rear sight with Troy micro front would work on these with a standard MLOK rail up front.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I can confirm after buying the Arisaka low profile rail it didn't get the sight low enough on its own. But when I use the Magpul MBUS Pro LR rear sight and adjusted the height as far up as it would go, I was able to co-witness my red dot with my iron sights. I didn't have to shave down the front sight post and had the full range of adjustment. I was able to get the Magpul sight from grabagun.com and got it for $88 by clicking their Grabaquote button. Attached are some pics of the sights and it co-witnessed. Thanks for the help you guys provided. View attachment 137947
Thanks a lot Nick!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Purchased a Ruger PC Carbine M-lok low profile picatinny rail for flip-up sights off of Ebay. Attached the low profile rail to the front end of handguard, mounted front and rear UTG super slim flip up sights and cowitnessed the sights with a Romeo 5 with no problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Purchased a Ruger PC Carbine M-lok low profile picatinny rail for flip-up sights off of Ebay. Attached the low profile rail to the front end of handguard, mounted front and rear UTG super slim flip up sights and cowitnessed the sights with a Romeo 5 with no problems.
761stTank, I'm interested in mounting iron sights (only) on my 19122. From what SlickNick said, the Arisaka Defense rail (0.277 thick) left his front sight higher than the rear sight. I've seen other low-profile rails (0.270" thick), but is the rail you got off ebay even thinner than 0.270"?

·
Registered
3 Posts
761stTank and RfShooter - I found this on ebay - assuming it's the same rail:

I couldn't find the height/thickness, but here's the description: "What i have here is a low-profile small picatinny rail that attaches to the M-lok handguard models of the Ruger PC Carbine. This low-profile base is for those who want to use a set up flip up sights and this base lines up with the rail machined on the receiver of the rifle."

Looks like it's from The Secret Weapon, LLC.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts