Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to mount iron sights on a Ruger American? I prefer that to a scope but can'\t seem to find a way to do it.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
You could order a rear peep for the Gunsite Scout. It clamps on to the rear scope base. For the front sight you would have to get a take off from ASI or someone like that, as Ruger won't sell the front sight. I've tried to order one, and Ruger says the front sights are "pressed on" at the factory, so they won't sell them. I figure if I'm smart enough to get the old sight off, I can figure out how to get the new one on. You will have to measure your barrel just behind the muzzle, Ruger makes at least three band type front sights. The barrel for the GSR is fatter, so you'd probably be looking at either the .560" or .625" diameter band front sights meant for the Mini. They will be the correct height for the Ruger rear peep.
Other option is to have a gunsmith mount a ramp type front on it, but he will have to figure out the correct height.
As you can see, I have both iron sights and a scope on the GSR, takes about 3 seconds to flip the levers on the Warne Q.D. rings to remove the scope.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Skinner Sights has a rear peep that mounts on the Ruger American and a front sight base that will take any standard dovetail sight. The front sight base will need a drilled and tapped hole in order to mount it. You can find their website at Marlin peep sights

PS: I know the link description is "Marlin peep sights", but don't let that throw you off. They have signs for many rifle brands and models.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Ruger banded front sights ARE available from factory. They're readily ordered through Brownells and Midwayusa.

You just have to know whom to ask.

New England Gun Company (NEGC) also make banded front sights.

You can also often find banded sites from other models on take-off parts sites like Numrich. It's kinda a trip to see new model firearms with old military rifle sights.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I oder from Midway and Brownell's almost every week. Who should I ask there? Never have seen them listed.
I thought about calling back to the factory and trying to talk to someone else. I was told firmly that they NEVER sell the banded sights when I called a few weeks ago.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I oder from Midway and Brownell's almost every week. Who should I ask there? Never have seen them listed.
I thought about calling back to the factory and trying to talk to someone else. I was told firmly that they NEVER sell the banded sights when I called a few weeks ago.
I love when people get all hot and bothered because they didn't know something...

So first off, you did cross my statements - you have to ask the right person at Ruger to get them to sell you the banded front sights, at Midway or brownells, they're a standard list item for sale.

At midwayusa or brownells, just ask for Ruger part numbers: S06502 or KS06502 for magnum barrels or KS06500 or S06500 for standards.

Direct link to Midwayusa for Ruger Magnum banded front sight for the non-believers

Midwayusa direct link to Ruger factory banded front sight for standard barrels

There are other Ruger banded front sight bases for other firearm models available as special order on Midway, as in for the Number 1's and Deerfield Carbines... There are at least 6 models of banded Ruger front sight bases available on Midway right now, most available in both blued and stainless...

Go look... They're there... I gave you two direct links...

And then there are multiple other banded front sights for other models, and plenty of screw on or solder on ramped front sights, and plenty of dovetail mount front sights available too. Lots of options - whether you knew you could get Ruger Factory parts or not.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Did I sound all hot and bothered ? I merely said I did not get the same results when I inquired.
And I was talking about the Mini-14 banded sights, I never did look for a model 77 banded sight at Brownell's or Midway. The links you provided were for M77 banded sights. Perhaps you did not read exactly what I stated. Do you have any links for the Mini banded sights like I was talking about ?
The OP might be better served with the 77 banded sight, or the Mini style sight that came on my GSR.
My inquires at Ruger, and searches at Brownell's and Midway, were concerning the .625" Mini-14/30 sight, which is what I was wanting, not one for a Deerfield, or a #1, or a M77.
If you have a part number or link for what I was talking about, it would be appreciated, instead of getting all huffy right off the bat.

·
Registered
462 Posts
peep

"It clamps on to the rear scope base."

actually....the ruger gsr peep sight does NOT clamp to the scope base......the base is drilled and tapped...for a screw that goes down through the peep sight base......however.....the peep sight made by NECG ...DOES....clamp to the scope ring scallops....

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
You're correct roashooter. I was going by memory, which isn't as good as it used to be.
I should have said, attaches to the rear scallop, not clamps to it.
I have the GSR ready to take out hunting this weekend, and had to look at it to make sure.
When I got it, slightly used, last summer, I went over it and cleaned it, and noticed some crusted shellac or something around the base of the sight. I wanted to clean that up, then put the sight back on and take it out and zero the irons, before sighting in the scope. The "shellac" must be epoxy, as I could not budge the angled Allen head screw that holds it on. Maybe the previous owner had either real, or imagined problems with the rear sight not staying on tight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts