Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What firearms related mistakes in tv and/or films do you find irritating? These can be general mistakes that are apparent in most films and tv programs, or specific examples if you have ones to cite.

I'll start with a few:

* Double barrel shotguns that fire three or more shots without reloading.

* Sparks that fly off cars when struck by gunfire, instead of having gaping bullet holes.

* People that are shot in films that are lifted off their feet and thrown a great distance. Last Man Standing with Bruce Willis immediately comes to mind as well as Out of the Dark.

* In Dreamcatcher, Morgan Freeman plays the mentally unstable military leader Abraham Curtis. When he comandeers a helicopter towards the end of the film and is questioned by [I believe it was an MPO], Curtis fires his pistol once at the man, removing him as an obstacle, and his slide locks back. He hadn't been shooting prior to this [aside from earlier in the film when he shoots another solider's finger off] so one would think he'd have had a full magazine or two.
I suppose this may not be valid since he could have been so mentally deranged that he decided to only go with one round in the pistol -- but then again, it could have just been a hollyweird mistake. :D

Anyhow, please post your gun related movie gripes or observations. :)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
There are a ton of them. Besides most westerns and the usual 20 shot revolvers with no reloading, there are sometimes no difference in the report/noise between a rifle and a handgun. Almost smokeless muzzleloaders, wrong weapons for the time periods, wrong ammo, and thats just the westerns.

The list could go on forever............

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
The sound of a hammer being pulled back on a Glock....
James Arness was a really good actor, but, he was really slow on the draw. His shooting for was terrible. He had a tendency to push his hand forward when shooting at someone with his six-shooter....terribly inaccurate form.
Val Kilmer (Doc Holliday) got 3 rounds from a double barrel shotgun in Tombstone (during the OK Corral thing.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I hate to see people hold their pistols sideways! Why in the crap would you even do that, besides wanting to look like a gangbanger? If these idiots would learn to shoot properly, they would hit more of what they aimed at instead of innocent bystanders.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
was watching some modern day movie(can't remember much so it must not had been a good movie) but i do remember officers on a roof top where a sniper had been collecting fired shell caseings as evidence and I observed that they had no primer in them.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
quote:Originally posted by gunman42782

I hate to see people hold their pistols sideways! Why in the crap would you even do that, besides wanting to look like a gangbanger? If these idiots would learn to shoot properly, they would hit more of what they aimed at instead of innocent bystanders.
This is true - and I know it sounds like a story - but my local gun shop had a guy come in wanting them to install sights on the side of the slide so he could aim better while holding it sideways.-----

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
quote:This is true - and I know it sounds like a story - but my local gun shop had a guy come in wanting them to install sights on the side of the slide so he could aim better while holding it sideways.-----
I would love to see someone try and shoot sideways with a S&W .500.

NOW that would be funny!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I agree with Wizard. The cocking Glocks are annoying. In a lot of the older westerns actors "throw" their shots. I guess they thought it made them look meaner or something.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i hsve never seen so many people carry guns without a round in the chamber- how many times do you see and hear them chamber a round?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
it looks cool to rack one[8D]and the additional sound effects to add suspense i guess[:0].

Works better with an 870;).

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I was flipping around the channels last night and there was some wierd si-fi movie on with alien wommen. The guy was shooting them with what looked like a short barrelled Rem 1100 semi-auto 12 ga. I never saw any casings eject and when he was stalking one he reached up and drew the bolt back with a loud 'snick-snack' sound effect. Still no ejected case. Real life there should have been an unfired shell ejected. Wondered what made the noise, smoke and fire?

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
quote:Originally posted by gunman42782

I shoot one-handed full-autos (UZI/MAC's) that way because you don't have to fight the recoil to keep the muzzle down when spraying horizontal. Turing the pistol sideways, lets the recoil move the pistol horizontally to get the desired spray "sweeping" effect.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
People using obviously flimsy tables etc to stop bullets from 45s and even rifles....happened a lot in cowboy movies.

Camera shots toward revolvers that are obviously unloaded...you can see the empty cyclinder.

There's whole bunch of them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts